• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amendments to contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amendments to contract

Hi all,

I'm here in brussels working on a contract when just after 4 weeks into gig I get sent a letter from my management co. who are doing my payroll with an amendment they've just received from the agency.

Basically they want me to sign an amendment to the contract which:
    - defines the first 4 weeks as a trial period where client can terminate the contract without notice and for any reason
    - reserves the right for supplier (i'm assuming the agency) to terminate agreement on 15 days notice (which can be abridged if client doesn't give the supplier enough days notice)
    - I can terminate contract by giving 15 days notice provided client agrees to this in writing and notice is sent by recorded delivery

First question, huh?
    2nd q. Is this fair (for me)? it doesn't look it? I can only leave if the client agrees - I don't want to leave so not a problem really.
    3rd q. does this matter? The 4 week period is already passed.

I have a good relation with the PM, I'm just wondering what will happen when dev. goes to system testing, I might be twiddling my thumbs for the best part of a month and then the PM might start getting ideas.

Any ideas?

thanks

You could always try ringing the agency and asking them why they're changing a contract after it has been signed. That would be the first thing I'd do. Then we could discuss their answer instead of hypothesising about it.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Yeah speak with the agency first. It's likely that this is just a general amendment to the way that the agency operates. It's standard to have a bi-directional notice period in contracts these days (I have a 30 day one). And if you're already past your 4 weeks then confirm with the agency that you will be given at least 15 days notice.

Comment

As everyone has already said, call the agents and ask them why they want to change a signed contract.

If they are adament hit them up for a one off payment. If they arent so excited about a small payment I suggest there isnt a lot they can do since the contract is already signed.

This really will all come down to the relationship you have with your agent, if its a good one then there will be some give and take. However if its rubbish then there probably isnt much chance of 1) you getting a small backhander (cash that is) and 2) you agreeing to the terms being changed.

Mailman

Comment

Thanks peeps, I'm getting on the blower as we speak

Comment

Posting the outcome is also helpful for the old and new alike...

Comment

Working...
            X