• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountants in Belfast / Northern Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountants in Belfast / Northern Ireland

Hi all,

I've been contracting in Dublin for a few years but have now moved back up to Belfast. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced accountant in Belfast or really anywhere in the North who knows the relevant tax ins-and-outs when it comes to IT contractors and IR35 especially?

Many Thanks!

Here's a list of Accountants in Belfast although I don't recognise any names as a Contractor's accountant. You may have to look further a field in Northern Ireland. Their expertise is more important than being able to 'pop' into their office.

Comment

Hi Garrett,

I live near Newtownards and use a company called Caldwell McLintock. They have a partner call Imelda Rogan who looks after my accounts. Very aware of all the legislation, and does a good job.
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Belfast eh? A fellow sufferer of the NI contract market at last!

Accountant wise, not a recommendation & more of a "steer clear". I moved a month or 3 ago to Opus from Nixon Williams (cost related). In contrast to Nixons & despite satisfactory references, meetings etc I am having desperate communication troubles from Opus - emails so far taken 3 weeks to respond & the guy is always "busy with other clients" - are we not a client too then? It has reached the extent that I have suspended payment of their fees to see if that gets us some of their attention!

If you DO find anyone good, please let me know sir! (& if you know of anyone wanting Infrastructure \ VMWare technical consultants, do yell!)

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. IR35 certainly complicates things much more so than any piece of legislation in the South. My head is spinning with all this nonsense.

Thanks for the heads up on Opus. I had a similar problem (communication delays) with my original accountants in Dublin (Prima) and moved over to Noone Casey who were fantastic. Hopefully I can find someone equally competent in the North.

Being able to pop into the office isn't a big deal really. I just need someone who is competent, gets the job done, knows the relevant legislation and hopefully doesn't break the bank. (Not asking for much there am I)

Thanks Again!

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
            Belfast eh? A fellow sufferer of the NI contract market at last!

Accountant wise, not a recommendation & more of a "steer clear". I moved a month or 3 ago to Opus from Nixon Williams (cost related). In contrast to Nixons & despite satisfactory references, meetings etc I am having desperate communication troubles from Opus - emails so far taken 3 weeks to respond & the guy is always "busy with other clients" - are we not a client too then? It has reached the extent that I have suspended payment of their fees to see if that gets us some of their attention!

If you DO find anyone good, please let me know sir! (& if you know of anyone wanting Infrastructure \ VMWare technical consultants, do yell!)
            Just out of interest actually, if it were not for the costs would you recommend Nixon Williams? Do they provide any free IR35 contract reviews? From what I've been seeing on most UK accountancy websites£75+vat per month seems at the lower end of the price range no?

Thanks!

Comment

Avoid OPUS

Like another poster on this thread, I'd advise you to steer clear of Opus, Belfast. These people charged me two and a half times what I have paid subsequently for the same service. Two years after I settled the bill in full they wrote to me and claimed i hadn't paid. I pulled out my payment details, and they apologised. Now another two years on they have chased me for payment again - wasting several hours of my tme for an account that was fully settled on the day that I received theirr service. Incompetent, or what?

Comment

Funny you should say that about Opus, I've had similar although I refused to pay them until a month went by when they didnt screw up or have HMRC writing to me with some problem or other. They've now sent another invoice for their fees, which needless to say, will not be getting paid as they were a bloody nightmare.

Opus closed their Malone Avenue office in 2011 without any notice (I only found out when I went to take them some stuff & they weren't there any more) & moved all of their clients to "Exchange Accountancy Services" based somewhere behind GVS I think. Same people, but Jon whatshisname has sold out to the staff, who are just as ineffective. Alas, they never sent out fresh contracts etc for the changeover & the staff are just as bad at responding \ doing their job, so I guess they're going the same way.

I'm looking, so if you're moving then I'd be very interested to hear how you get on. I'm out Killinchy way regularly & drive past a practice near there in the country, may call them & see what they're offering. Also met with Lowry Grant & JL Grant in Mallusk last year about another project, he seemed to know what he was on with but, like I say, only met him once.

Typical NI really....half a job will do - same attitude as my current consultancy client & it really is disheartening.

Comment

Working...
                X