• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting out of Recruitment Consultant Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
    Whatever, I just find it funny that you guys always come down on the agents side in these discussions.
    northernladuk was just explaining how it works. Probably it wasn't a simple enough explanation for the likes of you.

Also reach4thelasers needs to remember that client may or may not be paying the agency in 48 hours, and that the agency has to deal with multiple clients with different payment terms so to make their own life easier they say they will pay you within 14 days.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      northernladuk was just explaining how it works. Probably it wasn't a simple enough explanation for the likes of you.

Also reach4thelasers needs to remember that client may or may not be paying the agency in 48 hours, and that the agency has to deal with multiple clients with different payment terms so to make their own life easier they say they will pay you within 14 days.
      I know exactly how it works, but the way explained is not correct. You should see it as the agent get a slice of your cake.

Comment

Whatever, I just find it funny that you guys always come down on the agents side in these discussions.
        It's not coming down on the side of the agents. It's stating the truth of the situation.

1. Agency takes % margin on day rate offered by client - no one works for free.
        2. Contractor takes role based on rate offered by agency.

Where is the problem? Sure, you may find out that your agency is taking a 50% margin of the overall day rate offered by the client - but you accepted at that rate in the first place so you have no rights to complain. If you don't like the initial day rate - negotiate. If you can't / they won't negotiate, then don't take the role.

But please... don't take the role and then threaten to quit mid-term because you decide you don't like your terms. It's childish, unprofessional, and you may find yourself unable to get another contract when word gets around.

FFS just how thick are you all that still don't understand that all you are entitled to in terms of income is the rate that you agree with the agency.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
          It's not coming down on the side of the agents. It's stating the truth of the situation.

1. Agency takes % margin on day rate offered by client - no one works for free.
          2. Contractor takes role based on rate offered by agency.

Where is the problem? Sure, you may find out that your agency is taking a 50% margin of the overall day rate offered by the client - but you accepted at that rate in the first place so you have no rights to complain. If you don't like the initial day rate - negotiate. If you can't / they won't negotiate, then don't take the role.

But please... don't take the role and then threaten to quit mid-term because you decide you don't like your terms. It's childish, unprofessional, and you may find yourself unable to get another contract when word gets around.

FFS just how thick are you all that still don't understand that all you are entitled to in terms of income is the rate that you agree with the agency.
          I don't think people are thick, I just think they are fed up with agents taking the p***.

Comment

I don't think people are think, I just think they are fed up with agents takingf the p***.
            How so? In terms of % deducted as margin?
            Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

The way I see it is my client had a budget of £400/day to employ me. £120 of that money is pigeon-holed for the recruitment consultant. I take home £280/day.

Given that my current contract is going to go on for a year, why should some university-drop-out recruitment consultant get £120/day for the next year. Profiting out of my skills, my intelligence, my hard earned work. All they did was read my CV and send it to my client, and they get £600/week for the next year for that?

They are parasites! They earn money by other people's hard work and watch the money roll in whilst I go out and work for it.

I'm doing the work, why don't I get the full £400?

Greed? No hard earned cash! Earned by my intelligence, my experience and my skills.

The price for reading a CV and sending it to my current client: £31,200/year

And the same recruitment consultant placed 5 contractors here: £156,000/year

Not bad for dropping out of uni and doing 10 minutes work reading and e-mailing a CV!

Some things money can't buy, for everything else, read a contractors CV £156,000 - priceless!

Comment

Then do your own hard work. Make your own cold calls. Get all of your clients direct.

Cut out the agent by doing their work yourself.

Simples.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If only it were that easy.....

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Then do your own hard work. Make your own cold calls. Get all of your clients direct.

Simples.
                  I agree, in principle, anyway.
                  However, I don't know how many of you out there have tried to deal with large Blue-Chip companies directly and had any success?? They have a well oiled faceless HR dept who have a company auditable procedure to deal with recruitment with certain preferred agencies. They will not entertain anything outside of that. The pile of CV's on their desks via this method mean they don't have to.

With SME's it may very well be different. Unfortunately in my line of work its 99% large companies that I have to deal with so trying to secure a direct deal is impossible (and yes I have tried.....)

In this climate you can't be too choosy. You are fortunate to have a long term contract and its too late to do anything now. Let me know how you get on at renewal time.....

Comment

Ask your client if they'll let you go direct (and probably pay the agency to let you), ask the agent for more money, get a new contract elsewhere paying more money if you think you can...

By the way, well done on the degree, I'm really impressed.

Comment

I know exactly how it works, but the way explained is not correct. You should see it as the agent get a slice of your cake.
                      Originally posted by cojak View Post

Simples.
                      <Simon Cowell Mode On>I am going to agree with.........dynamicsaxcontractor <Simon Cowell Mode Off>

The argument concerning who's taking a slice of whose pie, is that it is the contractors pie and the agent is taking the cream.

I have been in situations where having negotiated with a client they do not wish to go direct and prefer to manage through one or two preferred suppliers. I have been asked to therefore sign up with an agency who then charges an addition fee percentage on top. Normally 10-15%.

This fee covers the admin, contractual agreements, basically the whole HR relationship, time sheets, invoices etc and is cost effective for the client.

The fee that agents is a management fee. It's the cream on top and you are quite within your right to try and reduce that amount.

So are agents parasites. Absolutely. Its just a symbiotic relationship, both need each other.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X