Self Assessment and minor estimation Self Assessment and minor estimation
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

More time posting than coding

Default Self Assessment and minor estimation

Hi,

I'm just about to finalise my Self Assessment, but have held off as I can't fiind a Tax Voucher (stupid I know) I had from a policy I have. It was only about £20 for the whole year, but don't know the exact figure.

Do I declare extra (e.g £30) and fill in the part of the form that informs of the reason for the estimation? There is nothing else contentious on the SA. Not sure if it's worth doing this for such a small amount (i.e. still declare £30 but don't mention it is an estimate?)

Dezze,

Super Tramp

Quote Originally Posted by dezze View Post
    I can't find a Tax Voucher from a policy I have. It was only about £20 for the whole year, but don't know the exact figure.
    I am not an accountant. But I do know that when a bean-counter finds a tiny discrepancy, they assume you are either an outrageous liar or unreliably incompetent and they then distrust everything.

I'd go for £20 and "it's an estimate and is between £20 and £30", given the time available.

I suspect the civil servant that looks at it will go "whatever - I can't be arsed quibbling over that" and just accept your estimate.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Double Godlike!

Ha! Another last-minuter like me!

For some reason my HMRC account says I've already enrolled for SA online (which I have) but it's not in my list of services. Call to HRMC tmrw and even more last minuting....

On a similar theme, I've got a dormant savings account which had some money in it very briefly, earning me the princely sum of £0.15 The SA online application doesn't let me enter this as a figure, so do I round it up or say I didn't receive any untaxed intererst? I don't care about paying/not paying the tax, I just don't want to have a discrepency show up...

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    On a similar theme, I've got a dormant savings account which had some money in it very briefly, earning me the princely sum of £0.15 The SA online application doesn't let me enter this as a figure, so do I round it up or say I didn't receive any untaxed intererst? I don't care about paying/not paying the tax, I just don't want to have a discrepency show up...
    I think all taxable amounts get rounded down (and deductible amounts rounded up) so you owe nothing, according to the rules.

Thanks IR35 Avoider - it's a ridiculous thing to have to ask