• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor with company for over 4 years... any obligation to make me permanent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor with company for over 4 years... any obligation to make me permanent?

Quick question..
    I started this contract in Jan 2007, initially it was a 6 month rolling contract that kept getting renewed.
    Last July it was renewed for a year.

I work through an umbrella and always have, although im a contractor it's not a temporary job it's an ongoing desktop support role and we're busier than ever. I work with 2 guy's that are permanent, get paid a bit more than me, get 6 weeks holiday a year and get loads of company benefits.

Is the company under no obligation to take me on as a permie after a certain period?

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Quick question..
    I started this contract in Jan 2007, initially it was a 6 month rolling contract that kept getting renewed.

I work through an umbrella and always have, although im a contractor it's not a temporary job it's an ongoing desktop support role and we're busier than ever. I work with 2 guy's that are permanent, get paid a bit more than me, get 6 weeks holiday a year and get loads of company benefits.

Is the company under no obligation to take me on as a permie after a certain period?
    No. You're a contractor. If there were any such "obligation" it would have applied from day one.

However you have to ask why you're staying if you're getting less than the permies...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      No. You're a contractor. If there were any such "obligation" it would have applied from day one.

However you have to ask why you're staying if you're getting less than the permies...
      Fair enough.
      I'm staying because it pays a hell of a lot more than anything else the same that I've seen in the last year at least.

Comment

I work with 2 guy's that are permanent, get paid a bit more than me, get 6 weeks holiday a year and get loads of company benefits. Is the company under no obligation to take me on as a permie after a certain period?
        No, but if I were you I'd be asking for a permie job and a pay rise!
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

The client has absolutely no obligation to you, for that matter you're working there as the full time employee of your Umbrella. Your situation as far as the client in concerned is very little different than if you were a full time employee of IBM and on site.

Your rate is a matter for you to negotiate, the one advantage you had is you could expense a fair few things until you hit the two year rule.

Comment

Four years through an umbrella

Whilst I do not know your rate, I would have thought you would gain if you switched to a limited company.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              Four years through an umbrella

Whilst I do not know your rate, I would have thought you would gain if you switched to a limited company.
              Probably not by much if his "salary" is less than £43k (or whatever the magic number is now).

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Probably not by much if his "salary" is less than £43k (or whatever the magic number is now).
                You can gain on around £35k, so possibly still worth considering.
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I did very nicely thank you on less than that going via limited a few years back now but the benefits far outweighted the disadvantages especially paying low wage and dividends and even the small VAT amout makes it worth it and going forward all was in place when the bigger and better contracts came along, if your going to be contracting for more than 12 months i say go limited

Several people said to me (public sector) even the management people that there was a 2 year rule and they would have to take me on after this point, i think this may have been the case for some temps placements years ago but there is no such rule now

Comment

Quick question..

Not the sharpest sockie in the toolshed are you

Comment

Working...
                    X