• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension contribution from previous tax year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension contribution from previous tax year

Hello everyone, please answer my question.

Company tax yr ended few months ago in Nov2010 & I have seen the hefty Corporation tax bill now.

Is it possible now to open a pension(sipp) & invest some profit from that 2010 company tax yr

Originally posted by shubhoh View Post
    Hello everyone, please answer my question.

Company tax yr ended few months ago in Nov2010 & I have seen the hefty Corporation tax bill now.

Is it possible now to open a pension(sipp) & invest some profit from that 2010 company tax yr
    Once your Company year has ended, you cannot alter the CT obligations for that year by making backdated Employer Pension Contributions. You should have made the contributions during that year. However, you may want to speak to your Accountant to see what they say.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

How for one minute do you think it is acceptable to close your year, get the bill and then go back and spend more money in the current year after to affect the year before. The result is to fudge your payments to HMRC putting them out of pocket????

Even through there are a load of regulations and laws around a bit of common sense is also required you know.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Company tax yr end passed but no filing was done yet to HMRC. Returns are being prepared by the accnt now.

We claim expenses for the last few months\quarter or so. Pension being a similar expense to the company, thought that, I could fit it as an expense.

@northernladuk does that make sense to you now?
        Last edited by shubhoh; 16 March 2011, 14:19.

Comment

It is possible to claim expenses that have been incurred or paid after the year end if they relate to the prior accounting period. Eg, your y/e is 31/12 but your phone bill for the q/e 31/12 doesn't come in until 08/01. Unfortunately, while I can see the logic behind the OP's original question, the rules in the case of pensions are clear. It must be paid in the accounting period for it to qualify for tax relief.

If you are managing your finances properly you should know roughly what your liability is before your year end anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
            It is possible to claim expenses that have been incurred or paid after the year end if they relate to the prior accounting period. Eg, your y/e is 31/12 but your phone bill for the q/e 31/12 doesn't come in until 08/01. Unfortunately, while I can see the logic behind the OP's original question, the rules in the case of pensions are clear. It must be paid in the accounting period for it to qualify for tax relief.

If you are managing your finances properly you should know roughly what your liability is before your year end anyway.
            Much better answer & thats what the accountant confirmed as well.

Comment

Working...
            X