• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying VAT

I got my Cert of Registration for VAT and on it it has my first period ending 31/05, but it doesn't say how long I have to make the payment, I am going flat rate so it shouldn't take me too long to work out what I owe but I want to take in to consideration how long it takes for the payment to clear with HMRC, or does "the clock stop" when I amke the payment through the online facility and have th reference number?

Also just a clarification, I assume that I calculate based on amounts recived during a period rather than just invoiced? For example if I send an invoice to an agent on the 28th May and they pay the funds on the 2nd June, that payment will be in the 2nd period?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

The VAT return has to be submitted and paid a month and 7 days after the end of the quarter - so for 31st May the deadline is 7th July. Go really careful with the payment though as it has to clear their bank by the 7th and they don't have a faster payment system in place, so leave three working days before the 7th for it to clear. You can set up a DD and they'll take it around the 10th.

You can either be cash based or invoice based. On cash based you pay VAT on the invoices you've recieved. On invoice based you pay on invoices you've raised, whether they have been paid or not. You can use either, but you must be consistent.

Make sure you take account of the 1% discount under the FRS too.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      The VAT return has to be submitted and paid a month and 7 days after the end of the quarter - so for 31st May the deadline is 7th July. Go really careful with the payment though as it has to clear their bank by the 7th and they don't have a faster payment system in place, so leave three working days before the 7th for it to clear. You can set up a DD and they'll take it around the 10th.

You can either be cash based or invoice based. On cash based you pay VAT on the invoices you've recieved. On invoice based you pay on invoices you've raised, whether they have been paid or not. You can use either, but you must be consistent.

Make sure you take account of the 1% discount under the FRS too.
      Thanks bubs, does it matter which you choose? Is there a prefferedone? Also the 1% discount only applys to the first year though doesn't it.
      Last edited by SimonMac; 16 March 2011, 10:42.

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Maybe its different if you’re on the flat rate – I am not and was told it is one month after end of quarter by VAT office….

And yes, recently they changed it to payment clearing by deadline, rather then payment being received by deadline if paying by cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Thanks bubs, does it matter which you choose? Is there a prefferedone? Also the 1% discount only applys to the first year though doesn't it.
          You can choose either - some people prefer cash based as it's better for cashflow, others like invoice based as it's easier to keep track of. The 1% discount is indeed for your first year of VAT registration (not flat rate registration, so if they differ make sure you're using the right anniversary).

sal626 - it's a month but they give you an extra 7 days if you file and pay online.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I would recommend setting up a direct debit payment, this will ensure that you meet the payment deadlines and not have to worry about the timing etc.

Of course you also get longer to pay, although at the moment this does not usually earn any extra money for you due to the very low interest rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
              I would recommend setting up a direct debit payment, this will ensure that you meet the payment deadlines and not have to worry about the timing etc.

Of course you also get longer to pay, although at the moment this does not usually earn any extra money for you due to the very low interest rates.
              I assume that I would still need to tell HMRC how much to take so I don't see where the advantage would be

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I assume that I would still need to tell HMRC how much to take so I don't see where the advantage would be
                The advantages are:
                1. You get interest on your money for the extra 7 days though with interest rates so low it makes little difference
                2. You only have to submit your VAT calculations which saves a bit of time. I've had an occasion before when I've done my calculations went to pay via my bank account and found online banking down. So I had to go back onto the HMRC site and find their online payment part.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I make an electronic payment from my account at Santander about 1 week before the end of the month when it's due. I just live a happier life knowing that HMRC got their money a bit earlier and hopefully, they're happy too in return.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post

Whatever you do - don't set up a direct debit and then forget that you have one and end up paying it twice.

I don't know what kind of moron would make that basic mistake
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X