• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could I expense My Business-Related Training Course?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
    1) Contacting HMRC and asking them to confirm in writing whether this would be OK - detailing my argument in writing
    2) just expensing the amount, ignoring my accountant and being prepared for both a) explaining my view with HMRC if they question and b) the possible fine.
    If you ignore your accountant and HMRC investigate you then they may fine you for deliberately claiming something when your accountant told you not to.

I'd say take option 1 which will give you a definitive answer.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I agree with the chaps - I cannot see that there would be any way that HMR&C would accept that the cost was incurred wholly and exclusively for the sake of the business and that there was no duality of purpose. It certainly can't hurt to write to them but you may have to wait several weeks for a response; I certainly wouldn't expense any of the cost until you have had a written answer.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        I do wonder with all these questions about can I claim this, can I claim that.

How many peoples records are actually examined closely enough to see detail like this? I bet it is hardly any. Does anyone know of the actual %?

If there is only a 5% chance of them actually looking this close, doesnt it make sense to just put everything you want through and worry about it in the unlikely event they ever look?
        I would assume the accountant would refuse to sign off the accounts prior to submitting them to Hector if he knows there are things on there which are wrong?!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          I agree with the chaps - I cannot see that there would be any way that HMR&C would accept that the cost was incurred wholly and exclusively for the sake of the business and that there was no duality of purpose. It certainly can't hurt to write to them but you may have to wait several weeks for a response; I certainly wouldn't expense any of the cost until you have had a written answer.
          WSS - it's not something I would expect HMRC to accept as a valid defence.

You could just rent the King's Speech from Blockbusters and be done with it
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd argue that the course would be allowable actually.

ITEPA states that work related training is OK when:

Meaning of “work-related training

(1)In this Chapter “work-related training”, in relation to an employee, means a training course or other activity designed to impart, instil, improve or reinforce any knowledge, skills or personal qualities which—.
            (a)are likely to prove useful to the employee when performing the duties of the employment or a related employment, or

(b)will qualify or better qualify the employee—.
            (i)to perform those duties, or.
            I'd therefore argue that these would be "personal qualities" allowing him to do the job better. It's hard to think of any "personal qualities" training courses that wouldn't have a use in personal life, so my advice would be to claim them
            Last edited by Vallah; 4 April 2011, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
              I'd argue that the course would be allowable actually.

ITEPA states that work related training is OK when:
              But what you forget is that for an expense to be allowable it has to be wholly and exclusively for the business and there has to be no duality of purpose - this case falls under neither

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

But what you forget is that for an expense to be allowable it has to be wholly and exclusively for the business and there has to be no duality of purpose - this case falls under neither
                I'm aware of that, but look at the legislation above.

"knowledge, skills or personal qualities which—.
                (a)are likely to prove useful to the employee when performing the duties of the employment"

Now skills based training is obviously an easy point. If you go and learn about, say, UK GAAP or Excel, there's no real argument as that's purely work based. Personal qualities though, it's hard to think of any that are "wholly and exlusively". Assertiveness, negotiating, all of them would surely have a use in everyday life and therefore duality of purpose?

Comment

I'm aware of that, but look at the legislation above.

"knowledge, skills or personal qualities which—.
                  (a)are likely to prove useful to the employee when performing the duties of the employment"

Now skills based training is obviously an easy point. If you go and learn about, say, UK GAAP or Excel, there's no real argument as that's purely work based. Personal qualities though, it's hard to think of any that are "wholly and exlusively". Assertiveness, negotiating, all of them would surely have a use in everyday life and therefore duality of purpose?
                  But the section you have quoted is not the over-riding legislation; you cannot avoid the fact that the lessons in this case have duality of purpose.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

But the section you have quoted is not the over-riding legislation; you cannot avoid the fact that the lessons in this case have duality of purpose.
                    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf

See Page 79. I'm certain that if Duke of Edinburgh scheme attendance would qualify, then so would this case.

Comment

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf

See Page 79. I'm certain that if Duke of Edinburgh scheme attendance would qualify, then so would this case.
                      Why? The Duke of Edinburgh Scheme is a registered charity

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X