• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar panels supplied by my limited company on my residence, legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panels supplied by my limited company on my residence, legal?

Bit of an odd subject line but it was the most accurate way I could think to phrase it.

I'm considering having solar panels installed on my home as part of the government Feed In Tariff (FIT) initiative and have been struck by a thought.

Could my limited company pay for the cost of the solar panel purchase and installation and then have the money generated by the FIT paid to the company so it is effectively a long term revenue generating item for the company?

I know there are a couple of companies that currently do this as their business plan (Isis Solar being the largest in the UK).

My thoughts are that I would be able to reclaim the VAT as it would be above the £2k point for flat rate and I could offset the costs under the AIA as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Originally posted by salnajjar View Post
    Bit of an odd subject line but it was the most accurate way I could think to phrase it.

I'm considering having solar panels installed on my home as part of the government Feed In Tariff (FIT) initiative and have been struck by a thought.

Could my limited company pay for the cost of the solar panel purchase and installation and then have the money generated by the FIT paid to the company so it is effectively a long term revenue generating item for the company?

I know there are a couple of companies that currently do this as their business plan (Isis Solar being the largest in the UK).

My thoughts are that I would be able to reclaim the VAT as it would be above the £2k point for flat rate and I could offset the costs under the AIA as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Would you pay to install them on my house in exchange for the revenue from the FIT? If the answer is no then that would be good reason to be cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Would you pay to install them on my house in exchange for the revenue from the FIT? If the answer is no then that would be good reason to be cautious.
      That's the thing, if I was looking for a long term investment (neutral balance within 10 years and with a 15 year profit window) and if I had the capital available without requiring it elsewhere within that 10 year period then yes, I would.

I think it's quite a good business model, especially when you consider that if you were to do it on a large scale as a company it would actually pay for itself in under 10 years due to bulk product pricing etc.
      Last edited by salnajjar; 17 May 2011, 14:50. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
      X