• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My agency hasn't paid me, what can I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My agency hasn't paid me, what can I do?

My contracted ended last month and my agency hasn't paid me yet and have kept 2 months worth of contract where they were supposed to pay me 3 weeks ago.

I contacted them and they gave no proper response.

What can I do about it? taking them to court?! reporting them to bailiffs?

Please help.

Thanks,

The Late Payment of Commercial debts (Interest) Act - Pay on Time

You can't do anything until you have sent them written notice that you can prove they have received that there is money outstanding and you will take further action including legal action to recover it.

I would sent a special delivery letter as even if they claim later on not to have received it, no court will believe them.

There are various ways you can deal with it but if you are planning on taking them to court you need to be able to show you have been "reasonable" in pursing it.

Personally I would use a debt collector as a good one will tell you whether you will be able to get the money.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
      My contracted ended last month and my agency hasn't paid me yet and have kept 2 months worth of contract where they were supposed to pay me 3 weeks ago.
      I contacted them and they gave no proper response.
      Not being funny but there must be a reason why they aren't paying you. Give them a call and talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. It's a bit early to talk about legal action and bailiffs just yet!
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

was their "no proper response" any of the following? if so which?

- we are just moving over to a new accounting system and your payment has fallen through the cracks
        - im sorry the finance controller isn't in right now and I dont know when they'll be back
        - the client is unhappy with your end work
        - we haven't received your invoice
        - we haven't got your invoice are you sure you sent it?
        - the client hasn't signed off on the invoice yet and we can't do anything until they do
        - ahh yes we are just running that payroll tomorrow
        - you missed the payroll running date and so have to wait until the next payroll run
        - your contract says you get paid in x days, it is <x days so far, please wait
        - the amount you have invoiced is different to that the client/ clients timesheet system says
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

They could be in financial trouble.

Go through the process described above. Read up about it. Send them a reminder.

That's all you can do. As SueEllen suggested might be worth handing over to a debt collector, especially if you think they're getting into trouble. He might be able to pressure out a payment. Eventually it is a creditor demand that can't be paid that will force bankruptcy. That is the knobbed stick you beat them with.

Of course it maybe a simple Admin hiccough, but company's in trouble often use "Admin errors" to delay payment, which is why you need to get on with the debt retrieval pronto.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Are you a PCg Plus member? Don't forget you have agncy default insurance if it all goes horribly wrong.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

If you have good relations with the client, try and found out if/when the agent was paid for your work.

Run an up to date credit check on the agency.

Depending on what these say, it could be anything from an innocent and soon to be resolved hiccough to a problem.
              Last edited by PSK; 19 May 2011, 09:52. Reason: Not reading the original post properly.

Comment

the agency just said we have received your invoice, our account manager will contact you but they didn't; I'm going to call them again, it's so annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
                  the agency just said we have received your invoice, our account manager will contact you but they didn't; I'm going to call them again, it's so annoying.
                  I would send them a letter rather than just call and send it by special delivery, as no doubt the account manager will just happen to be in a meeting or away when you call again.

Least if you start sending them letters, even if you do also call them, and they don't react it's easier to take the more final steps in chasing a debt.

Some companies purposely delay paying others and they only will pay if it looks like you are serious in chasing the money for them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I would send them a letter rather than just call and send it by special delivery.
                    have you got a template?

Comment

Working...
                    X