• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounts submitted late.. Big fine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounts submitted late.. Big fine

My accountant was given books three weeks before the deadline. Tight, but I didnt think unreasonable given that my accounts are invoices only and all neatly arranged in proper books and they just put them into vt accounts or similar.

Despite my best efforts to chase, it took them two months to submit my accounts.

As they were late last year I now have a £750 fine from companies house...

Any advice in how to reduce this fine would be appreciated! Accountancy no longer return my emails.

Am I unreasonable in expecting accounts done in 3 or even 7 weeks?

I think may be a gnats unreasonable to be honest. There is a little bit more involved than you are suggesting and I am sure you are not your accountant's only client - perhaps put this one down to experience
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
      My accountant was given books three weeks before the deadline. Tight, but I didnt think unreasonable given that my accounts are invoices only and all neatly arranged in proper books and they just put them into vt accounts or similar.

Despite my best efforts to chase, it took them two months to submit my accounts.

Any advice in how to reduce this fine would be appreciated! Accountancy no longer return my emails.

What did your agreement with them say with regard to submission of accounts from yout to them for preparation?

Name and Shame?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'd rather not name at this stage

The contract doesn't really say anything, other than they'll take "reasonable care" and that the directors of the Ltd co are responsible with compliance to all laws etc ..

I think Co House have made a mistake, as my accounts weren't late last year, AFAIK ..

Comment

Complain to the accountant's professional body.

I got fined by Companies House when in exactly your position a few years ago: the accountants sat on the paperwork for two months for no apparent reason, despite me chasing regularly.

I got half the annual fees back from the accountancy.

(It's the accountancy where the Police have been regular visitors.)
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It takes me only 2 hours to complete end of year accounts as my books are very up to date. I tend to submit accounts 6 months early giving ample time for error and correction. Your accountant will have other clients so cannot produce them as fast as someone doing their own and there will be staff holidays etc to factor in for short notice. 3 weeks notice is rather short when using another business unless they state in the contract that their turnaround is shorter. Looking at your accounts turnaround had you submitted your books on time the accounts will have reached Companies House long before due.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Complain to the accountant's professional body.
              No point complaining if the accountant doesn't even know he's been ringing.

Before getting their professional body involved it's best to prove that you have tried to get in touch with them.

Send them a first class record sign-for letter giving 7 days from the date of the letter for them to phone you and discuss the issues as for some reason you haven't been able to get through to the phone when ringing them for the past 2 weeks. Put phone numbers in the letter that have answering services i.e. voicemail and state in the letter that these phone numbers have answering services.

I've done this in the past before I've complaint to regulators about companies who claim to do call backs as lots of companies say they can't get in touch with you. If you point out they you have answering services and they don't leave a message then it's them who are unreasonable.

Oh and if you have in previous years given the accountant your books 3 months or more before they have to submit your accounts I won't bother complaining. I would pay the fine, find another accountant and agree with them before hand when books have to be submitted.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I remain philosophical about the 3 weeks. Yes, I could have got them in earlier.

However, 7 weeks takes the mickey, IMO

Comment

I remain philosophical about the 3 weeks. Yes, I could have got them in earlier.

However, 7 weeks takes the mickey, IMO
                  Do you always give your accounts to your accounts a month before and they do them?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I remain philosophical about the 3 weeks. Yes, I could have got them in earlier. However, 7 weeks takes the mickey, IMO
                    The last couple of times I've wanted some decoration done, the 2/3 decorators I've asked to quote have given approx times to start of between 4-8 weeks. Wanted the boiler replacing last November and had to wait 6 weeks before any heating engineers could schedule it in. Same with a new gas fire/surround - both local shops were looking at 4 weeks before they could fit it. You have to accept that no service business has staff just sat there waiting to do work the moment the client needs it. Workload has to be planned at least a couple of weeks in advance which inevitably increases at busy times of the year when demand is higher. I am sure that your accountant would have done your accounts within 3 weeks had they a suitable clerk sat waiting doing nothing who could start on yours straight away, but it is far more likely they were all in the middle of other work that week, with the following week or two (at least) already pencilled in with promises made for other clients with deadlines etc - remember it's not just annual accounts/tax returns, there are also VAT returns every quarter, payrolls every month, etc. By taking a clerk off other planned work to do yours, the firm could well have ended up making other clients late and them incurring late filing penalties or at the very least annoying clients by breaking promises. It is likely that when your books arrived, the manager/partner realised that however quickly they allocated it to the next available clerk, it wouldn't get finalised and submitted by the deadline (bearing in mind review staff availability, time to clear queries, postage times for approval & submission, etc, so there was no point in accelerating it as being a day late is as bad as being 4 weeks late. Your only course of complaint would be had they promised to meet the deadline but failed to meet their promise. Otherwise it's not a disciplinary or complaining matter - expecting 3 week turnaround is simply not realistic for any service provider where a timetable has not been agreed/promised in advance. Put it down to experience and make a mental note to do your bit quicker next year - after all, you have 9 months from the year end, so leaving it to 8 months and 1 week and expected your accountant to jump through hoops in the last 3 weeks is a tad unrealistic.

Comment

Working...
                    X