• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Court Appearance: Charging daily rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Court Appearance: Charging daily rate

Hi

I was involved in a car accident in 2009 and my insurance company would like me to attent court as a witness.

I have no issue with this but would like to charge the insurance company my standard daily rate for the court appearance. However the Insurance companies soilcitor says that the maximum claim that I can make is £50 per day.

I think that the £50 per day is paid by the court for jury service and is not a charge added to costs to be paid by the loosing side.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Think there are limits

I had to go to the small claims court a few years back after my wife was in a car accident.

The other party gave evidence that completely contradicted her original police statement so was banged to rights and the judge was really unimpressed.

He awarded us the maximum he could for the time that i'd missed work, but it wasn't a lot.

So there was a limit, though small claims may be different to the higher courts and this was longer than I can remember.

Comment

Witnesses expenses and allowances: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

This is from the CPS but I won't be able to confirm amounts until tomorrow.

Edited to say - Even from the CPS you get £42.95 if you spend 4 hours in court and £85.90 if you spend all day in court plus travel and subsistence. So I don't know what figures your insurance company solicitor is using . PDF with rates are here - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/assets/u...chment%201.pdf
      Last edited by SueEllen; 9 June 2011, 10:05.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
      X