• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Companies - bank charges for same day payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple answer is they don't need to justify it. They're a business and are selling a priduct/service. If you want to upgrade to a faster service then you pay what they're charging. There's no right or wrong here - it's just business.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Actually banks don't work in that way. The fee structure for BAC's payments and Faster Pay payments is different with FP's being more expensive
      Which bank do you use? 99% of our payments go automatically by Faster Payments which cost us 50p a transaction to send.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
        Simple answer is they don't need to justify it. They're a business and are selling a priduct/service. If you want to upgrade to a faster service then you pay what they're charging. There's no right or wrong here - it's just business.
        It isn't just business if they're saying they're sending payments by BACS when in reality they go by Faster Payments, and then charging a premium for same day payments.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
          Which bank do you use? 99% of our payments go automatically by Faster Payments which cost us 50p a transaction to send.
          Gosh aren't you the lucky one
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Gosh aren't you the lucky one
            Care to answer the question Lisa?

Comment

Banks will automatically send payments by the quickest available method. For the vast majority of payments this will be Faster Payments and not BACS. So claiming that BACS is the default method, and then whacking on a huge fee for a same day payment is not on. Unless anybody from a brolly firm would like to deny that this is what happening and explain how they can justify charges from £12-£30?
              I haven't claimed BACs is the default method.

I'm just pointing out to you that you may send me £5K by FP from your business current account but depending which of my personal current accounts you send the money to I could receive it within 6 minutes or I could receive it 3 days later.

That's because different banks who provide personal current accounts have different incoming FP limits.

If I want you to send the payment to ensure I receive the same day to my current account that takes 3 days then you would have to use a CHAPs transaction.

If you provided me with a service that promised same day payment I would be extremely pissed off if you sent it to my personal current account and it arrived 3 days later regardless of whether it was free or not.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I haven't claimed BACs is the default method.

I'm just pointing out to you that you may send me £5K by FP from your business current account but depending which of my personal current accounts you send the money to I could receive it within 6 minutes or I could receive it 3 days later.

That's because different banks who provide personal current accounts have different incoming FP limits.

If I want you to send the payment to ensure I receive the same day to my current account that takes 3 days then you would have to use a CHAPs transaction.

If you provided me with a service that promised same day payment I would be extremely pissed off if you sent it to my personal current account and it arrived 3 days later regardless of whether it was free or not.
                All of the main high street banks have a £10K limit or more. For payments above that it would default to BACS, or you could send by CHAPS, or better, split the payment into two. I'd like to know what banks the umbrella firms use that Faster Payments isn't the default option, and doesn't result in contractors receiving their money the same day. It all sounds decidedly iffy to me, and an artificial way of increasing profits.

Comment

All of the main high street banks have a £10K limit or more. For payments above that it would default to BACS, or you could send by CHAPS, or better, split the payment into two. I'd like to know what banks the umbrella firms use that Faster Payments isn't the default option, and doesn't result in contractors receiving their money the same day. It all sounds decidedly iffy to me, and an artificial way of increasing profits.
                  According to your profile Vallah you are an offshore service provider although you haven't seen fit to include your company name for some reason; perhaps before you start criticising the way other businesses operate you should disclose your own charges and business practises just so we can be sure you're not up to anything 'iffy'

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

According to your profile Vallah you are an offshore service provider although you haven't seen fit to include your company name for some reason; perhaps before you start criticising the way other businesses operate you should disclose your own charges and business practises just so we can be sure you're not up to anything 'iffy'
                    Why are you being so evasive Lisa, something to hide?

Comment

Why are you being so evasive Lisa, something to hide?
                      Hi Kettle my name's Vallah - you're black! I have nothing to hide - everyone on here knows how I run my business - shame we can't say the same about you

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X