• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 year rule for contractors. Fact or opinion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 year rule for contractors. Fact or opinion?

I have a burning question for any gurus on limited company accounting.

Is there a rule that says a contractor who uses a limited company can only use it for 1 year and then they have to either move on, close or go PAYE? Surely such a rule would entice contractors to open and close companies every year and amount to avoidance?

I was chatting to a partner at another firm last week and he seemed adamant such a rule exists. I'm not so sure?

Thoughts?

Originally posted by ahalgryn View Post
    Is there a rule that says a contractor who uses a limited company can only use it for 1 year and then they have to either move on, close or go PAYE?
    short answer - NO. The partner has his/her facts wrong.

Comment

Some clients have a 1 year rule about keeping contractors on, one that springs to mind was Barclays who had a 52 week rule. This was something to do with their policies and was nothing to do with the amount of time you run your LTD. Just make sure he isn't getting mixed up with client policies and your LTD.

There could be a whole host of other limitations he is speaking about. If you are not from the UK maybe there is something around Visa's or tax/vat for you but I don't know about that.

Reading the exact wording of your post the answer is there is no limit for running an LTD but make sure you are not at crossed purposes with your 'parner'
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He has no idea what he's talking about.

Sounds like it could be some kind of mix up with a companies rules over retaining contractors like NLUK says

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you guys for your comments. Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought this was a bit obscure.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            He has no idea what he's talking about.

Sounds like it could be some kind of mix up with a companies rules over retaining contractors like NLUK says
            Absolutely.

If nothing else I'd be willing to bet that at least 75% of the Ltd Co contractors on here have companies exceeding 12 months old, me included.
            Apart from some clients having oddball internal rules there's no truth or sense to it.

Comment

We have customers working for a London council for more than 4 years.

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Absolutely.

If nothing else I'd be willing to bet that at least 75% of the Ltd Co contractors on here have companies exceeding 12 months old, me included.
              Apart from some clients having oddball internal rules there's no truth or sense to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Absolutely.

What he said ^^^

I've had my Ltd for 17 years.

Some clients do have odball internal rules. In recent years I've come across Barclays and the 52 week rule, HBoS had a 'two year' rule for contractors because a 'lawyer' told them that it 'stopped them becoming employees' and I worked at two smaller companies whos legal depts told them that contractors had to leave for two weeks every twelve !! none of this has anything to do with your Ltd though.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

some companies may not understand the real meaning of IR35 to set this kind of rule

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  What he said ^^^

I've had my Ltd for 17 years.

Some clients do have odball internal rules. In recent years I've come across Barclays and the 52 week rule, HBoS had a 'two year' rule for contractors because a 'lawyer' told them that it 'stopped them becoming employees' and I worked at two smaller companies whos legal depts told them that contractors had to leave for two weeks every twelve !! none of this has anything to do with your Ltd though.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry@SC Lee Accountant Ltd View Post
                    some companies may not understand the real meaning of IR35 to set this kind of rule
                    I think we can file that in the 'NO SH1T, SHERLOCK' drawer.............
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X