• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retaining ltd co paper work after closing it down.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retaining ltd co paper work after closing it down.

Hi all,

What are the requirements for retaining ltd company paperwork after the company is shut down. The company in question hasn't actively traded since 2008 although there are a few odd transactions since then for e.g. interest, final payment of expenses and such like.

I presume I need to retain divvie vouchers, paye forms and receipts for expenses etc for my own personal tax records regardless of the fate of the company. What about contracts, meeting minutes, bank statements and all that? Do I need to keep the whole lot for the last six years or whatever it is?

I actually have everything since company started, as well personal bank statements, mobile phone bills etc, and it's taking up quite a lot of room. I'd be happy to get rid of as much as possible.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

6 years springs to mind but not sure if that is for personal or business. It is what I work on so hope it isn't any longer!!

Everything over 4 years I just bung through a scanner and put the folder in the loft.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Found this, not sure if it applies to a dissolved company but:

8. What records of resolutions and meetings does the company need to keep?

The company must keep minutes of all proceedings at general meetings or decisions made by a sole member. They must also keep copies of all resolutions of members passed other than at general meetings. They must keep these records for 10 years and make them available for inspection by members on request.
      Life of a Company - Part 2 Event Driven Requirements - GP3, includes information on Directors and secretaries, Change of Registered Office address, Change of name, Resolutions

So basically I am going to need a bigger house.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Can't you move it to one of the guest bedrooms in the east wing?

Gratz on 5K posts as well!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Can't you move it to one of the guest bedrooms in the east wing?

Gratz on 5K posts as well!
          Oh dear, what a dull topic for #5000. At least it's relevant to contracting though

Comment

This year I actually got round to chucking out most of the old computer stuff in my attic dating to 1992. 386sx computers etc. Still got a whole pile of invoices and receipts and stuff up there to same year. Maybe in 3000 years time it will provide a fascinating insight into late 20th century commerce.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              6 years springs to mind but not sure if that is for personal or business. It is what I work on so hope it isn't any longer!!

Everything over 4 years I just bung through a scanner and put the folder in the loft.
              I can't remember the exact length of years either but do remember that the longest length of time was 7yrs which I think was for VAT records so use that as a minimum for all record keeping.

Comment

Cos Hse requirements probably irrelavent for one man contractor company. No other "members" anyway. What is probably most relevant is this

HM Revenue & Customs: FAQ: New Compliance Checks

The new assessing time limits will be:
                Tax Ordinary time limit Careless behaviour Deliberate behaviour
                VAT 4 Years 4 Years 20 Years
                Income Tax/CGT 4 Years 6 Years 20 Years
                Corporation Tax 4 Years 6 Years 20 Years
                bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I closed my previous company down 18 months ago.

HMRC agreed to it being struck off so I've had all the papers shredded. HMRC can ******* swivel now, they had their chance to go over the papers before they agreed to strike the company out.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Tax returns sent on time:
                    you must usually keep your records for a further year after this deadline.
                    How long must you keep your records? | Business Link

Records relating to pay, tax and NICs
                    You must keep full and accurate payroll records for each employee for the current and previous three tax years.
                    HM Revenue & Customs: PAYE record keeping*

Business and accounting records you must keep for Corporation Tax
                    You must normally retain your company or organisation's business and accounting records for at least six years from the end of your Corporation Tax accounting period
                    HM Revenue & Customs: Records for Corporation Tax: what you need to keep

Quite how they can get you for mistakes in income Tax/CGT for 4+ Years when they say you can chuck records away after a year are a mystery. Typical joined up thinking. Not.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 28 June 2011, 18:55.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X