• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do clients prefer my Ltd to be VAT registered?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do clients prefer my Ltd to be VAT registered?

In the past, the VAT threshold mandated my Ltd Co. to be VAT registered. These days I'm well under that and purchases that are "wholly and exclusively" for the Co. are also low. Consequently, I'm wondering whether it's worth the bother of staying VAT registered. Paperwork aside, the key issue to me seems to be whether clients prefer it one way or the other or don't care. The Co.'s clients are typically VAT registered themselves, but sometimes are not for the smaller outfits.

Anyone know of arguments one way or the other?

Thanks.

All about the clients

From your clients side, if they are VAT registered they won't care whether you are or not. If they are not VAT registered, they would love it if you are not VAT registered.

From your side, being VAT registered will always leave you better off. If you have low/no expenses then go on the flat rate scheme.
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

You should go on the FRS you'll make ~5% extra by being on the FRS v not being VAT registered.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
      X