• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

retirement planning for contractors...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no idea. I'll find out, they were pointed to it by a couple of my dads old collegues who had been doing it for ages.

Comment

I'm considering moving to Cyprus on retirement as mainly, I like it and have friends there and secondly, current tax on pensions is something like 5% over €3400 pa or something close to that...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
        It's all about moving abroad in retirement! My folks are out of the country for the 181+ days and don't pay tax on their pensions.
        They must have been careful to choose a country where they get index increases in the state pension.

If you go to some countries you are stuck with the state pension you got when you left the UK and the amount is never increased.

I'm not investing anything into traditional pensions anymore (have a few grand in an old company one). My retirement will be between a few buy2lets and traditional investments, I should hopefully be retired way before company pensions allow to be payed out (it's 55 right?).
        At the moment it's 55.

The state pension retirement age is going up to 66 then 67, 68, 69 and probably up to 72. So don't be surprised if this age goes up as well!

Step 1: Retire
        Step 2: Flog house and move abroad.
        Step 3: Live like a king in a cheap place.
        Lots of people retired and went to live in France and Spain because it was cheaper.

Unfortunately the value of the pound decreased and food costs around the world increased.

Alternative:
        All my investments F*** up and I'm sweeping the streets in east london at 70.

Could be worse!
        Yeah you could be working in B&Q, Asda, Sainsburys or Tescos.

Though those working in B&Q and Tescos looked the most miserable.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Alternative:
          All my investments F*** up and I'm sweeping the streets in east london at 70.
          Even more spectacular alternative: being repeatedly stubbed into calves by 3 year old gangstas while sweeping the streets in east london.

Comment

Working...
          X