• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Christmas HMRC..

What a bunch of Bastards, just as my wife is forgetting about this they send another harassing letter as we enter the Christmas period. Is this acceptable, is it legal??? These letters are not right they put the frighteners on talking about legal matters, interest etc...... Should they be able to do this whilst due process is taking place. Trying to frighten people into paying.

I know the letter is not that bad but it is just another drop in the water torture we are facing...

This is another strain that we do not need.
    I don't believe it.........

Comment

Originally posted by patbikeruk View Post
      What a bunch of Bastards, just as my wife is forgetting about this they send another harassing letter as we enter the Christmas period. Is this acceptable, is it legal??? These letters are not right they put the frighteners on talking about legal matters, interest etc...... Should they be able to do this whilst due process is taking place. Trying to frighten people into paying.

I know the letter is not that bad but it is just another drop in the water torture we are facing...

This is another strain that we do not need.
      I was just about to say arent they 3 weeks early, I thought the mind games was supposed to land around xmas eve?? They really are low life vindictive little B******* arent they. If nothing else this says to me that they are just praying someone sh*ts their pants and actually pays them some cash. Smacks of desperation and hope to me.

Dream on hector my spare money is going on BA first and some lovely lovely holidays! Even if I managed to save half the notional debt, which I cant, they would still bankrupt me for the other half so whats the point in saving or paying anything off.
      Last edited by smalldog; 1 December 2011, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        Dream on hector my spare money is going on BA first and some lovely lovely holidays! Even if I managed to save half the notional debt, which I cant, they would still bankrupt me for the other half so whats the point in saving or paying anything off.
        That's the spirit!

And make sure you take massive WADS of cash on holiday with you.

Whilst on holiday make sure you keep your cash safe by using a safe deposit box.

I love skiiing so I would holiday in switzerland frequently if I was in a BN66 bind.

ps. Not that I would advocate hiding cash away.
        Last edited by prozak; 1 December 2011, 14:06.

Comment

I particularly like their settlement offer - you can contact them if you wish and pay the full amount of tax, interest and NICs ... erm - why would anyone do that at this stage??

Also thought the supreme court appeal was a done deal - didnt realise there was a chance the supreme court could turn down our appeal, optimistic part of my brain thought we where just waiting for a date :-(

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
            That's the spirit!

And make sure you take massive WADS of cash on holiday with you.

Whilst on holiday make sure you keep your cash safe by using a safe deposit box.

I love skiiing so I would holiday in switzerland frequently if I was in a BN66 bind.

ps. Not that I would advocate hiding cash away.
            the way I see it this threat has probably made me do things I wouldnt have otherwise done. I would probably have done something predictable and boring like buy an investment property or shares or something else dull. This way I actually get to do some "gay abandon" type things and actually live a little. If inflation didnt count against it hiding big wads of cash might be a viable option!

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
              I particularly like their settlement offer - you can contact them if you wish and pay the full amount of tax, interest and NICs ... erm - why would anyone do that at this stage??

Also thought the supreme court appeal was a done deal - didnt realise there was a chance the supreme court could turn down our appeal, optimistic part of my brain thought we where just waiting for a date :-(
              one word = FEAR! and thats what they are hoping for. The stupid thing is they seem to think sending this out at xmas time is the best strategy, when actually most people have less ability to pay precisely because of xmas and family commitments!!!! idiots.

Comment

Early Christmas Present

one word = FEAR! and thats what they are hoping for. The stupid thing is they seem to think sending this out at xmas time is the best strategy, when actually most people have less ability to pay precisely because of xmas and family commitments!!!! idiots.
                I received my CN for 2007/8 so await the new letter with bated breath ! nice early Christmas presents from HMRC.
                http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

mmm - they've obviously not read the art of war :-)
                  should always give people a way out else they have to fight to the bitter end ..a lot of people (myself included) got so fed up of this a long time ago we probably would have folded given a good offer from ir (I know - weak of me and letting the aggressor get away with it), as it stands there's no better alternative than fight till we run out of options!

Comment

should always give people a way out else they have to fight to the bitter end ..a lot of people (myself included) got so fed up of this a long time ago we probably would have folded given a good offer from ir (I know - weak of me and letting the aggressor get away with it), as it stands there's no better alternative than fight till we run out of options!
                    totally agree, there is no bargaining to be had with them as to be honest I dont think they are that switched on.

We are cornered and there is no way out. As you say had they actually considered the ramifications of no compromise on their part they may have acted differently.

They may have shot themselves in the foot by playing hard ball to strongly, by the time this gets resolved if we lose they may get a smaller return than had they tried to negotiate settlement earlier in the process. I would have been willing to settle for 50% no questions asked. If you also then factor in their resource and legal costs fighting this I suspect the situation could be even worse. But hey the government dont seem particularly considered with some of their ridiculous tax policies (IR35, 50% tax rate for example), no reason to think a government agency is going to be any different.
                    Last edited by smalldog; 1 December 2011, 15:27.

Comment

I've got nothing to lose if I continue to fight either. Hector has made it clear that's the easiest option.

Just getting clued up on that long list of benefits I will be claiming. Housing benefit, unemployment benefit, child tax credits for my wife, etc, etc.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X