BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to help finance a PR campaign?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

87 67.44%
  • No

42 32.56%
Page 3 of 337 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 3366

Banned

When does (does it ever) the law of diminishing returns kick in?

Surely HMRC will have spent sh!tloads already on fighting this case.

Ooops, answered my own question , HMRC are fighting the case with our money so they don't care how long it takes or how much it costs.

Ignore my post, move along, nothing to see here.

Contractor Among Contractors

there does seem to be a bit of an assumption here that if we lose then we will appeal to SC and that MP would be willing to do that, do we know if they would??? A while back we were discussing if MP would be willing to fund the next stage, there seems to be a default assumption that they would...
    Last edited by smalldog; 22nd July 2011 at 10:41.

Still gathering requirements...

Good point they have less to lose now as they do not do so much tax advice in the UK anymore. ( I may be wrong on this point...)

Quote Originally Posted by smalldog View Post
    there does seem to be a bit of an assumption here that if we lose then we will appeal to SC and that MP would be willing to do that, do we know if they would??? A while back we were discussing if MP would be willing to fund the next stage, there seems to be a default assumption that they would...

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by smalldog View Post
    The terms of my agreement with MP stated they would take it to HoL if necessary. HoL has obviously been replaced by the SC but there is no reason to suggest they would try and get out of their commitment that way. Independently, WG has stated that MP would take it beyond the SC to Europe.

Remember, MP have a lot riding on this both in terms of the financial aspect as well as credibility.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Contractor Among Contractors

Im less concerned about the outcome of the judgement and more concerned about confirmed continued commitment from MP.

If we lose and MP battle on then all well and good, couple of years to go yet.

If we lose and MP say thanks but weve had enough then it will be a totally different matter, it will be appeal reviews and CN's a plenty and I suspect in a relatively short time frame.

Of course we could win in which case happy days

Not trying to be a scaremonger, just want to give some perspective.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by Emigre View Post
    The terms of my agreement with MP stated they would take it to HoL if necessary. HoL has obviously been replaced by the SC but there is no reason to suggest they would try and get out of their commitment that way. Independently, WG has stated that MP would take it beyond the SC to Europe.

Remember, MP have a lot riding on this both in terms of the financial aspect as well as credibility.
    Yes, this is what gittins told me also (in Liverpool). But he also said hmrc (then the IR) couldnt do this, this and this. And they have.

MP wouldnt be the first or last company to do an about face to save their reputation and credibility.

I'll be watching them with more interest on Monday than the judgement tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Yes, this is what gittins told me also (in Liverpool). But he also said hmrc (then the IR) couldnt do this, this and this. And they have.

MP wouldnt be the first or last company to do an about face to save their reputation and credibility.

I'll be watching them with more interest on Monday than the judgement tbh.
    Damn! I hadn't even contemplated the possibility of MP not fighting on. The head f**k has just nothched a level.

I guess that opens up the scenario of: we loose on Monday, MP throws in the towel but PWC fights on. Where does that leave us ?

I assume as long as somebody is fighting it we can still continue as we are.

We only need one case to win ultimately for us all to be ok.

It is just a matter of if HMRC enforce collection, before the end.

Quote Originally Posted by not-a-penny View Post
    Damn! I hadn't even contemplated the possibility of MP not fighting on. The head f**k has just nothched a level.

I guess that opens up the scenario of: we loose on Monday, MP throws in the towel but PWC fights on. Where does that leave us ?

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by not-a-penny View Post

I might be wrong, but I think the MP defence is being bankrolled by a customer. I don't think finance would be the issue and a company in their field, home or abroad, can't be seen to be running scared if the going gets tough. I can only see them withdrawing if HMRC land a KO and there really isn't point in fighting on.

Should post faster

Default What's the point?

If as the general theme suggests this will end up in the Supreme court. What is the point of the High Court and COA? Why not go straight to the Supreme court. We've already been sweating for 3 years, What is the point!!!!!!