• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CoA

I will remain optomistic, until events prove otherwise.

Comment

Bad news

Sorry for the delay but it's taken this long to be able to post anything.

Both our's and PwC's appeals have been rejected.

I'm getting a statement from Montpelier which I will post shortly.

Comment

Not too surprising

The bad news is not that surprising, we just need to wait for Montpelier's statement and formulate the next steps.

Comment

Time now to drum up some false hope with yet another long winded appeal.

Comment

So have court of appeal judges ever ruled to overturn parliament or do they always pass it upstairs for the SC?

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

? False Hope? Because they are fighting for something which we all believe is right? Would you rather they didn't?

I'm sure if you are not interested in an appeal, HMRC would be more than happy to settle with you - if you think you can do better, go ahead.

For me & the rest of us who need optimism, I'll stick with it.

Comment

thats it for me

I know some of you are now ready to fight on to the SC but personally I think such a route is just drawing out the inevitable, 4 judges now ruled against us so I cant see how the SC would do any different.

I will wait and see what MP say but for me now I would like MP to enter into some negotiation with HMRC and see if we can get a deal on reducing the interest and come up with some payment plans.

I can't put my family through another year+ of this.

Good Luck to those with the stomach for a further fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                  ? False Hope? Because they are fighting for something which we all believe is right? Would you rather they didn't?

I'm sure if you are not interested in an appeal, HMRC would be more than happy to settle with you - if you think you can do better, go ahead.

For me & the rest of us who need optimism, I'll stick with it.
                  Let's wait for the detail. MP will have had time to consider and it'll be reflected in their statement. This judgement isn't a surprise but it is a big disappointment. Hopefully we haven't lost badly.

Comment

COA Ruling

We need to wait until we have read the judgement before we can understand how "bad" this is for us. Until we know if the CoA had negative comments about the HC or give us traction somewhere, the full extent and significance of what losing here means won't be fully known. It's a bad day for sure. But until we have read and understood the judgement, we're guessing at what this means going forward. If it's Parkeresque then that does not bode well for the future. But we need to see the facts before we can do more than speculate on what happended today. And likewise for the PwC ruling.

I appreciate many will be dumb struck by the news and a whole range of emotions are naturally going to come out in the coming days. But we need to understand today 100% and that means knowing what was said and why rather than just the conclusion of it. Tough though this may be, it's necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

Ha Ha ! That actually made me laugh, even after the news.

You know that saying: 'she would light up the room as she walked in'? - you must be the opposite of that.
                      What a joy you must be to have around the house

Comment

Working...
                      X