• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - umbrella or limited company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting - umbrella or limited company?

Hi all,

Recently found myself a contracting position and I have signed up under an umbrella company as the position came about suddenly.
    Anyhow I was reading some information on some website saying it is best to set up your own limited company if you earn more than £25.000pa. Currently I am earning £27.00 per hour and the contract is for 7 months.
    After this date I would like to continue in the conrracting world but wanted to get some advise as to whether or not I should stick with the umbrella for the duration of the contract or look to set up my own limited company asap.

Many thanks.
    djj

At your rate it is certainly worth setting up a limited company, yes there is more work but the rewards are far bigger.

Speak to an accountant, I use Nixon Williams and I think they still set up a company for you free of charge, speak to them they are very helpful.

Umbrella's are probably going to become even less rewarding after new regulations come in later this year.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

You could of course read the sticky that is dedicated to this exact question and have a look at the guides on the right.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Based on your rate and contract duration, a ltd company may suit you best (from a tax perspective you will be much better off going ltd). There are other considerations as well before you dive into using your own ltd company, but on the face of it, its certainly worth exploring further.

And they are quick to set-up these days - 2-24hrs for the ltd company, and 1-10 working days for the business bank account (depending on the bank you choose).

Good luck.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

At your rate it is certainly worth setting up a limited company, yes there is more work but the rewards are far bigger.

Speak to an accountant, I use Nixon Williams and I think they still set up a company for you free of charge, speak to them they are very helpful.

Umbrella's are probably going to become even less rewarding after new regulations come in later this year.

What makes you say that Waldorf??
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by GregCapitalCity View Post
            Based on your rate and contract duration, a ltd company may suit you best (from a tax perspective you will be much better off going ltd). There are other considerations as well before you dive into using your own ltd company, but on the face of it, its certainly worth exploring further.

And they are quick to set-up these days - 2-24hrs for the ltd company, and 1-10 working days for the business bank account (depending on the bank you choose).

Good luck.
            Also VAT registration seems to be <1 week. A friend submitted a new registration on Wednesday last week and got his registration certificate in the post today.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my query - the setting up of my own Ltd company is the best option.

Warmest regards

djj

Comment

Working...
              X