• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SIPP - what's in yours?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIPP - what's in yours?

I've recently started a SIPP with Alliance Trust to start building a pension nest egg and avail of the tax efficiency aspect (i.e. being able to pay in the gross amount from my limited company).

As I'm planning to make some further investments into this SIPP later this year I'm keen to get an insight on investment options (I'm open to anything from equities, ETFs, investment trusts, index-linked funds etc.) with the "Motley Fool" site being a great starting point.

Currently I have investments in the following:

HSBC INVESTMENT FUNDS (UK) FTSE ALL SHARE INDEX (MDFTA) (...to hopefully deliver a steady increase above inflation as UK equities mount a slow recovery)

M&G SECURITIES LTD GLOBAL BASICS (MGGBL) (...to hopefully ride the way of the world's increasing demand for raw materials)

What do you have in your SIPP (and why) and what investment areas are you looking to move in to going forward?

I hold about 20% in global funds (the M&G one you mention and a JM Finn one), about 30% in CF Ruffer Total Return and the balance is split between five equity income funds. It is a fairly conservative SIPP as I'm now getting on a bit, hence the leaning towards income generating funds now. Total portfolio size is ~£200k but I'm really struggling to see any bargains out there just now, hence my big stake in the low volatility CF Ruffer fund. In the last couple of years I have exited commodities, commercial property and corporate bonds after making profits that I wanted to move into the other funds. For the foreseeable, all future investment is likely to be in the CF Ruffer fund.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 1 August 2011, 10:59.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Interesting perspective FB. As I'm just shy of my 30th birthday my risk/return mindset with respect to pensions is closer to the opposite end of the scale than yourself.

Still, no harm for someone of my age to have a certain portion of the portfolio in such a solid / stable fund.

Today I have taken a punt on a prominent FTSE 100 company which I hope will offer stable and long term growth.

Very keen on bouncing around some investment ideas of others on here, especially if they are earlier in their pension planning lifecycle...like myself.

Comment

Working...
      X