• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a second hand computer for business use

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a second hand computer for business use

Is it possible to buy a second hand computer from a friend for business use and claim it as an expense?

Would going through eBay or something make it easier as I can get a receipt?

Your friend can give you a receipt. As long as you pay the market rate that its worth (no paying £5k for a £200 laptop) then there shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to buy a second hand one? There are brand new computers available for nearly every budget.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
        Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to buy a second hand one? There are brand new computers available for nearly every budget.
        £600 i5 iMac, only 3 months old... who would pass on that offer lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Your friend can give you a receipt. As long as you pay the market rate that its worth (no paying £5k for a £200 laptop) then there shouldn't be a problem.
          With this, should there be anything specific on there?

Comment

Originally posted by NotReallyButSeriously View Post
            With this, should there be anything specific on there?
            A hand written receipt is fine. Include on there;
            1. Date of sale;
            2. Name and address of current owner;
            3. Description of the goods;
            4. Amount goods were sold for;
            5. That the goods were sold to your ltd company;
            6. Get both parties to sign it;
            2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by NotReallyButSeriously View Post
              £600 i5 iMac, only 3 months old... who would pass on that offer lol?
              Me.....cos I hate Apple
              Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Check out the price of the same or similar product on ebay. Take a printout and retain it, just in case HMRC disputes.
                If you do not find a used product, print out the cost of a new one.

It will also be useful if your mate gives you a copy of the original invoice - confirming the date of purchase and the original value.

Comment

Working...
                X