• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Director's Loan after Company year end

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you for all your replies.

I thought this was a forum to share and help others who may not be a clever as some people think are they. For someone who has been a member since 09 and seems on average to post/ reply some 4 times a day including weekends perhaps needs, as someone else suggested, take a break. It is here to help people and not show how "clever" people think they are

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I think you need to take a break from the business and accountancy forums for a few days. But I do wish people would apply common sense

A director's loan can only be given to or from a director (the clue is in the NAME).

Why are there still times when I wish we had the ability to set text to flash annoyingly.
      Many thanks for your valuable advice. I shall take it on board. Odd you tell me take a break but still point out the OP's lack of common sense in the same post but.. ah well.

I thought this was a forum to share and help others who may not be a clever as some people think are they. For someone who has been a member since 09 and seems on average to post/ reply some 4 times a day including weekends perhaps needs, as someone else suggested, take a break. It is here to help people and not show how "clever" people think they are
      It is indeed... but.... the posters have to show some level of common sense/effort in running their companys. You are a company director and you have to understand the responsibilities that come with that and the repercussions of not doing that. You have a legal obligation to run your finances correctly. This tends to cover understanding exactly what a director is and a non working shareholder is. It also means getting an accountant or getting yourself educated to level you can do it yourself. Not run your finances from an online forum of strangers who can advise on the exact questions you ask but are unable to comment on other aspects you have already implemented and don't know.

I am afraid if you come on here... and I would wager any other board.. and ask questions that are mildly offensive to people who have put the effort in to find this from proper sources you are going to get a bit of stick. Your reputation should help you spot this for a start. We are here to advise you on good business practice, not to rip off your company/HMRC whilst at the same time showing absolutely no evidence you understand your situation or have put any effort in to do so.

I am sure you will be offended but I am actually giving you advice here which will stand you in much better stead in the next few years than asking if you can loan money from your company to all insundry.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 10 August 2011, 10:49.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Not run your finances from an online forum of strangers who can advise on the exact questions you ask but are unable to comment on other aspects you have already implemented and don't know.

I am afraid if you come on here... and I would wager any other board.. and ask questions that are mildly offensive to people who have put the effort in to find this from proper sources you are going to get a bit of stick.
        If his questions offend you then don't answer them, it's simple. He's asking a simple question he doesn't expect to have his head ripped off for asking it. That is how people learn and it doesn't help the board when you've got bunch of bolshy arseholes acting like they're doing the world a favour by being here.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I am sure you will be offended but I am actually giving you advice here which will stand you in much better stead in the next few years
        Same to you, patience is a virtue.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
          If his questions offend you then don't answer them, it's simple. He's asking a simple question he doesn't expect to have his head ripped off for asking it. That is how people learn and it doesn't help the board when you've got bunch of bolshy arseholes acting like they're doing the world a favour by being here.
          I think NLUK is horrified and shocked about someone who doesn't understand a basic concept which has very serious implications for the person running the limited company if done incorrectly.

Contractor55 the government has set up a website for England and Wales called Business Link which aims to help businesses in running their affairs by giving support, advice and information.

It's very simple to use so if you put the word "director" into the search box one of the articles it immediately comes up with a link to is "What is not a directors loan for corporation tax purposes".

The website address is this - Business support, information and advice | Business Link

I also suggest you talk to your accountant and get your company structure sorted out with him/her for the best tax implications for you. You do have an accountant don't you?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Incognito- thank you for reply and support

SueEllen- thank you for the link I shall look it up.

northernladuk-"and ask questions that are mildly offensive to people who have put the effort in to find this from proper sources you are going to get a bit of stick. " In what way is my question offensive- there was no direction to you or to anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by contractor55 View Post

northernladuk-"and ask questions that are mildly offensive to people who have put the effort in to find this from proper sources you are going to get a bit of stick. " In what way is my question offensive- there was no direction to you or to anyone else
              As SueEllen says. Maybe it was the wrong word for which I humbly apologise on bended knee.

I think NLUK is horrified and shocked about someone who doesn't understand a basic concept which has very serious implications for the person running the limited company if done incorrectly.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by contractor55 View Post

I noticed you didn't bother to ask answer my last question - Have you got an accountant?

You seem to be making up things as you go along and a good accountant will ensure that your affairs are set up to be tax efficient and most importantly legally.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

SueEllen- I do have an accountant and I do use him however as the same time I look to use this board to bounce idea`s around before I approach him so I have some background. As in all professions there is no one expert so investigating idea`s from other people is always good.

Comment

My accountant advised me not to take a loan, even up to the £5K limit, as it is easy to go over the £5K and so be liable for extra tax etc.
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                      My accountant advised me not to take a loan, even up to the £5K limit, as it is easy to go over the £5K and so be liable for extra tax etc.
                      Don't you mean he advised if you take a loan, not to take the loan right up to the £5k limit in case something pushes it over the limit.

Comment

Working...
                      X