• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you read the first post?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good accounts who can handle BTL and Contracting

Hi everyone,

Am extremely dissatisfied with the level of support I'm seeing in my current accountancy and looking to change. Any suggestions on an account that ticks the following boxes?

- Able to provide decent support for ongoing contracting (which is probably about 50-50 at the moment) and/or how to handle any committed expenses if I stopped contracting (e.g. mobile phone and car hire contracts lasting after a point when I may stop consulting..)

- Able to handle queries about BTL, including giving good advice on possibilities of bringing personal BTL properties under company ownership, or changing my company from a consulting company to a property management one (vs. doing the SPV route..).

- Good self-assessment support as well... more for my wife who has a few personal BTL properties. The personal tax contact at my current company was great, and my wife liked asking her questions on things like, say, what improvements should be considered capital expenditure vs. expenses.

- Free agent support.

I was leaning towards Gorilla, but the extra £100 for second director self-assessment wouldn't come with any advice like my wife's get's now... may not be a total deal breaker, but wouldn't mind hearing about any other potential options.

Thanks!

Comment

Your traditional contractor FA accountants are shaved to the bone so they aren't really set up for open advice on all others things at their prices. I do believe that some of them on that list would admit they don't want anything to do with property as well so you are kind of asking a lot for paying next to nothing for your accountancy I am afraid.

That said I'd be surprised if they would not give you some level of advice as a customer retention thing but for 100 quid a month you can't expect a lot.

I'm with Gorilla and they give me advice on my BTL's. It's only the odd question about what can/can't be claimed very rarely but it's enough for me. I'm sure all the recommended ones could do that. You just need to think how much time your wife wants and what is reasonable from an accountant you are paying £1200 a year to. That's like 3 days of my time over the year so consider that when thinking about how much time your wife wants from them.

If she needs the greater share of time than you do then a contractor setup might not be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by lifexplorer View Post
          Hi everyone,

Am extremely dissatisfied with the level of support I'm seeing in my current accountancy and looking to change. Any suggestions on an account that ticks the following boxes?

- Able to provide decent support for ongoing contracting (which is probably about 50-50 at the moment) and/or how to handle any committed expenses if I stopped contracting (e.g. mobile phone and car hire contracts lasting after a point when I may stop consulting..)

- Able to handle queries about BTL, including giving good advice on possibilities of bringing personal BTL properties under company ownership, or changing my company from a consulting company to a property management one (vs. doing the SPV route..).

- Good self-assessment support as well... more for my wife who has a few personal BTL properties. The personal tax contact at my current company was great, and my wife liked asking her questions on things like, say, what improvements should be considered capital expenditure vs. expenses.

- Free agent support.

I was leaning towards Gorilla, but the extra £100 for second director self-assessment wouldn't come with any advice like my wife's get's now... may not be a total deal breaker, but wouldn't mind hearing about any other potential options.

Thanks!
          Maslins offer a package of up to 2 directors, and BI had the same offer in November, you may want to contact them.

Comment

Looking for accountant

Hello,

Experienced contractor here looking for a new accountant.

I don't need / can't be bothered with all the new fancy software and monthly snapshots mullarkey, just someone to file the necessary documents/returns - and once a year or so, have a discussion about what the law says my approach to remuneration needs to be.

So this would probably suit the small firm type of accountant that can tailor their approach to the client's needs - but still understands the freelancer thing rather than trying to shoehorn us into their normal client processes. I hesitate to use the phrase "cheap 'n' cheerful" but that's probably not far off the mark.

This would be on a fixed-fee basis, agreed in advance of course.

Please drop me some contact details and I'll get in touch.

P.S. I can't edit my profile for some reason so at the moment people can't send me emails on this site - so for now, please drop me a phone & email address on the forum.

Comment

Anyone used Nordens? Any thoughts on them

Comment

Originally posted by lifexplorer View Post
                Hi everyone,

- Free agent support.

Thanks!
                +1 on recommending Maslins

been with them for 2 years, Chris and his team very helpful , speedy responses and proactive.

Freeagent also included with fees which is very easy to use.

worth a call with them to see if they are a good fit for your needs.

Comment

Well... It's Maslins or Boox at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                    Well... It's Maslins or Boox at the moment...
                    My business would be with Maslins wothout a second thought if that helps.

Comment

BI Accounting referral

I am signing up with BI Accounting. Does anyone want to share a referral fee with me?

Comment

Working...
                      X