• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    I would assume the client (and indeed whoever mentioned the term to them) won't mean a formal audit, they'll just mean full statutory accounts prepared by a qualified firm of accountants that comply with Cos Hse standards. Ie not just a P&L/balance sheet management accounts exported from your bookkeeping software signed off by the director.

We've had clients tell us they need audited accounts dozens of times. We've never done an audit. The (unaudited) accounts we've prepared are consistently accepted.

Same way lenders will refer to Ltd Co owners as "self employed", when they're not. Call us accountants pedants if you like but I genuinely think it doesn't help when big organisations that should know better use the wrong terminology.
    yes just meant full statutory accounts. thanks for your thoughts everybody

Comment

FreeAgent file only eoy accounts- best price?

My previous accountant charged £150+vat for basic EOY accounts based off my freeagent data but he has stopped trading. Some of the prices I'm now seeing online seem pretty wild by comparison. Can anyone recommend an accountant with a low price for this? Thanks

Comment

I've been with same folk for nearly 5 years. Last year they were taken over and merged offices. Service has gone down the toilet since.

This morning I pointed out an error on FreeAgent by asking why the expenses outstanding appeared inflated.... I got the reply "The balance owe increase due to expenses claimed through the company."

I asked for a discussion with someone about tax efficient way of closing the business down when I want to pack it it" and I got 3 bullet points about the Companies Register,

strewth,,,I pay for this... time to move

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
          My previous accountant charged £150+vat for basic EOY accounts based off my freeagent data but he has stopped trading. Some of the prices I'm now seeing online seem pretty wild by comparison. Can anyone recommend an accountant with a low price for this? Thanks
          I can spot the very reason he stopped trading in the same sentence!

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
            My accountant charges c. £500 +VAT for EOY accounts and CT calc/filing. I just supply a TB and closing bank statements.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              My accountant charges c. £500 +VAT for EOY accounts and CT calc/filing. I just supply a TB and closing bank statements.
              One thing I've learnt over the years is that the reason why things look expensive is because once you factor in the cost of recruiting you as a customer (advertising, salesman....) a lot of money has been spent and that £500 + VAT has to cover a lot of those costs.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hello. I'm looking for an accountant that can handle the accounts for a small consultancy, a few BTL properties purchased through an SPV and possibly a holding company.

Reading through the threads, it seems like Gorilla Accounting is the best shot here?

Comment

I've been with Gorilla for over a year now - they sorted out the car crash Dynamo left my accounts in and were professional and prompt. WAs also applying for a mortgage so they put my EoY through quickly. Very happy and would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    I've been with Gorilla for over a year now - they sorted out the car crash Dynamo left my accounts in and were professional and prompt. WAs also applying for a mortgage so they put my EoY through quickly. Very happy and would recommend.
                    I'm with Gorilla as well, but i'm not sure on the service. I'm not sure if it's a bit overpriced. I think it's quite expensive for doing not a lot i.e. proactive albeit I dont know what else there is. That being said, freeagent works ok so if i were to move i'd want to have an online system. Gorilla doesnt use the tax calcs that are in freeagent so they arent accurate. Accountancy is not my strong point and I really struggle to understand what i'm seeing and this makes me feel exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by frustin View Post
                      I'm with Gorilla as well, but i'm not sure on the service. I'm not sure if it's a bit overpriced. I think it's quite expensive for doing not a lot i.e. proactive albeit I dont know what else there is.
                      This is a common misconception. See how expensive it gets if you do your accounts yourself and make a mistake. If you're already qualified / part-qualified in accountancy or have years of practical experience then you'll be fine. However, the majority of people seem to think it's about managing a bank account.

Originally posted by frustin View Post
                      That being said, freeagent works ok so if i were to move i'd want to have an online system. Gorilla doesnt use the tax calcs that are in freeagent so they arent accurate. Accountancy is not my strong point and I really struggle to understand what i'm seeing and this makes me feel exposed.
                      That's probably because of the assumptions being made by FA to give its estimates. These are then overidden by an accountant who knows more about your business than an algorithm.

Regarding your last sentence - do a book-keeping course or something like this from the OU: B124 | Fundamentals of Accounting | Open University It's your responsibility to understand your financial statements and if you don't know then you need to educate yourself. Ask your accountant to explain things to you too.

EDIT: there's a free OU course on bookkeeping that should be useful: Introduction to bookkeeping and accounting - OpenLearn - Open University - B190_1
                      Last edited by ladymuck; 14 January 2021, 14:33.

Comment

Working...
                      X