• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

newbie tax question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the original question been answered? If not, I'll have a go. Let's assume you have £100K of income and £10K of expenses (before salaries) and there are 3 options as to the vehicle through which you may operate. The first is as a sole-trader, the second is as a limited company and the third is through a tax scheme provider.

If you trade as a sole-trader, I reckon you should take home £71,941 after tax in year one. I have assumed that you are an IT contractor in your first year of trade on the VAT flat rate scheme. This assumes that the £10K expenses end up in your pocket (ie they are expenses you would have incurred irrespective of whether or not you were self-employed such as travel, phone, use of home etc). It disregards any accountancy fees.

Through a limited company, your take-home will depend substantially on your personal circumstances. In particular, whether or not you have such a convenient thing as a spouse or partner who is a non-higher rate taxpayer and whether or not you need all your post-tax income on an arising basis.

Assuming firstly that you are single and need every penny (ie worst case scenario). In this case, I reckon you will take home £77,074 per annum.

Assuming secondly that you are married to a non-earner and can justify paying her £7,068 in salary and are also happy to make her a 50% shareholder so that she can receive half of the dividends. In this case, you will take home £87,867 per annum.

Finally, assuming you are single but can live on £38,934 net plus expenses per annum, you will then eventually take home £84,681 net (assuming the accumulated reserves are eventually taken as a capital sum, subject to 10% CGT on the dissolution of the company).

Again, for each of these examples, I have disregarded accountancy fees (so that you can see the benefit and determine whether or not it is worth paying those fees. Bear in mind that you will get tax relief on the accountancy fees so if the difference were £1,500 and you paid £1,500 in fees, you would still be (albeit marginally) better off going limited company. I have also assumed that IR35 is not an issue.

Finally, if you go through a tax scheme provider, presumably you get £100K minus their fees which I imagine are in the range 10-15% so I guess you will end up with £85-90K. Whether or not this is worthwhile will depend in a number of factors but primarily, which of the alternative positions you are in, whether or not you feel IR35 is an issue and your attitude towards risk. You may also have an ethical standpoint.

Hope this helps.

PUMA

Comment

Excellent post by THEPUMA there. Just about sums it up nicely.

Comment

At the end of the day - if you live in the UK, are registered for tax in the UK and work in the UK HMR&C expect you to pay tax either as an employee, through PAYE or as a business owner through corporation tax. Sole trader is an option for some industries but not for anyone hoping to work through a recruitment agency
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
          Finally, assuming you are single but can live on £38,934 net plus expenses per annum, you will then eventually take home £84,681 net (assuming the accumulated reserves are eventually taken as a capital sum, subject to 10% CGT on the dissolution of the company).
          Thank you! It turns out I can live on less than that, so this is something to investigate carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by acitizen View Post
            Thank you! It turns out I can live on less than that, so this is something to investigate carefully.
            No problem. Feel free to contact me if you want me to provide more detail on the various options available to you.

Comment

Working...
            X