• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of Year v Interim Dividend while waiting for accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Year v Interim Dividend while waiting for accounts

I've just passed Company End of Year and I'm about to send off all the company paperwork to the Accountant for him to do the end of year accounts, but this brought a question to mind

When I take dividend out, before the accounts are finalised, I assume it would as an interim dividend for Company year 2011/2012. Is this correct?

Also when the accounts are complete do I need to declare an End of year dividend for 2010/11?

I have more than enough money in the company to cover the Dividends and all my tax liabilities its just a matter of keeping my dividend paperwork correct in case HMRC ever came looking.

Thanks

I assume that your year end os August? So my understanding is that any dividends you declare now would be included in the next accounting year, ie to 31st August 2012.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
      When I take dividend out, before the accounts are finalised, I assume it would as an interim dividend for Company year 2011/2012. Is this correct?
      So you are taking a dividend after your company year end? In which case, yes, this dividend would be shown in the 2011/12 accounts. The idea is you know what retained earnings you have in your business from management accounts, enabling you to satisfy yourself your company has sufficient funds to pay a dividend.

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
      Also when the accounts are complete do I need to declare an End of year dividend for 2010/11?
      No. Most contractors only ever take interim dividends - there is no requirement to declare an end of year dividend.
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
      X