• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD Accountancy or Nixon Williams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    That extra apostrophe will be free then I hope.
    Well spotted, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
      Not sure what your circumstances were but we hardly ever charge any extras, as an example we do if the client owns property through a company. We do not charge extra for formation, transferring to new accountants, tax returns (if submitted by the deadline), references etc.

Alan
      From memory the 2 things were a small fee for using you as business address, and a significant fee for each subcontractor used - not something the average contractor would need admittedly.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Ah but, there is another consideration...

Hector has started a programme of checking business records, to see if they are fit for purpose. The thought occurs that if I have a spreadsheet shwoing details of my expenditure and income tha reconciles precisely to my bankl statements, am I in a better position should Hector turn up than someone who can only show them a pile of random papers and the accountant's email address?

Just a thought....
        Well, that's my strategy exactly. I have a spreadsheet for each month and the receipts etc.. are filed by month so they match the monthly spreadsheets. The spreadsheet is reconciled exactly every month end against the bank statements and my VAT records are kept scrupulously clean. I hope that when Hector comes knocking at the door it will take him about 5 minutes to see everything is in order and squeaky clean. That's the idea anyhow!
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

What about on-line portals and accounting systems? Is that even a consideration for contractors? We were looking at it but its a big change from spreadsheets and if its not likely to prove popular, then I wont bother.

Comment

What about on-line portals and accounting systems? Is that even a consideration for contractors? We were looking at it but its a big change from spreadsheets and if its not likely to prove popular, then I wont bother.
            It's only a practical application of cloud computing. I use my local copy of the SJD spreadsheet and mail it in quarterly for the VAT and annually for the company year end. If it was hosted on an SJD portal I would do all the same things, apart from having to email it in (and they could sit it on an iXBRL layer to save their own time in submitting stuff to Hector; so potentially I press the button to say my quarter-end ledger is up to date and reconciled to the bank statement, and the VAT100 magically appears in Telford.).

It's the old argument about process being infintely more important than the tools, a lesson too many in IT tend to forget; As long as the desired result is obtained efficiently, what you use to obtain it doesn't matter a damn.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I used SJD and was very happy with them, but decided to go to NW, when SJD raised the fee this year. Maybe i was unlucky enough but from the day one i had every possible problem with them and in a month when i was tired of sorting out problems with NW i went back to SJD.
              But if not to refer to my bad experience(maybe just a bad luck as here are a lot of people who are happy with them), i can say that filling in the spreadsheet is much more convenient than to send every month via post all my expenses and invoices and loosing a track of what was send, what not. I think this juggling with paperwork is wierd to an ear of a person who works in IT. Yes, it's possible to send some of those via email, but you can't even add an archive as attachment(let's say all "April paperwork"), you should send all the documents attached separately. For me this was really inconvenient and moreover this way i loose control over my figures - what was received, invoiced, spended, what are the totalling figures etc. As an owner of the business you most probably want to know those.
              Secondly i've noticed that in NW accountants can easily reply your email in a day, that's again something that was as a surprise to me as in SJD my accountant tends to reply if not immediately, but definitely within several hours - this is something i really value.

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
                I used SJD and was very happy with them, but decided to go to NW, when SJD raised the fee this year. Maybe i was unlucky enough but from the day one i had every possible problem with them and in a month when i was tired of sorting out problems with NW i went back to SJD.
                But if not to refer to my bad experience(maybe just a bad luck as here are a lot of people who are happy with them), i can say that filling in the spreadsheet is much more convenient than to send every month via post all my expenses and invoices and loosing a track of what was send, what not. I think this juggling with paperwork is wierd to an ear of a person who works in IT. Yes, it's possible to send some of those via email, but you can't even add an archive as attachment(let's say all "April paperwork"), you should send all the documents attached separately. For me this was really inconvenient and moreover this way i loose control over my figures - what was received, invoiced, spended, what are the totalling figures etc. As an owner of the business you most probably want to know those.
                Secondly i've noticed that in NW accountants can easily reply your email in a day, that's again something that was as a surprise to me as in SJD my accountant tends to reply if not immediately, but definitely within several hours - this is something i really value.
                Hi Goggy

I've just sent you a PM if you could let me have the full details I will review things accordingly. This does not sound like the service we offer so if we have slipped up I would very much like to know about it so things can be addressed.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
                  I used SJD and was very happy with them, ..... , when SJD raised the fee this year.
                  Is that not a bit of a paradox? You changed from an accountant you were very happy with to one you'd never tried for the sake of what, £30 a month.

Comment

Is that not a bit of a paradox? You changed from an accountant you were very happy with to one you'd never tried for the sake of what, £30 a month.

What was that about "good accountants are free" again?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you see any point in pay more (approx 40% more) for the same level of service?

Comment

Working...
                      X