• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP, I'm new and think I have been overcharged

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP, I'm new and think I have been overcharged

Hello all,

I am new here and I tried to do a search on here but found nothing.

Basically when I got my first payslip from parasol group recently for 3 weeks freelance work I did I saw on the payslip they charged me a fee of £295.20 which they call "employment costs". I only thought they would charge me a small fee of £27.50 per week, which they did. No where on their website or in their material do they explain a "employment costs" fee would be charged nor it is mentioned in their take home pay calculator. I was never made aware of it when I signed up to them.

Does anyone know what this fee is??

I rang them to find out but felt they gave me the run around with no direct clear answer. When I asked them if this "employment cost" fee was a mandatory cost that all umbrella companies charge they said they "could not comment". Is that an obvious NO?

Once they took out the fees and employment costs I was then charged my income tax and national insurance which I was fully aware of. Just need to know where this "employment costs" fee came from?

I need help with to find out if I am getting ripped off? Why on their site do they hide this cost? Do other umbrella companies charge a fee for "employment costs"?

Any info to help me understand would be helpful!

I am sure the parasol people post here.

ltd co is the way to go.

Comment

If people struggle with the concept of ringing the people who have paid them to sort out a problem with pay and also put 'HELP' in forum titles () then I think the complexities of LTD's are way beyond them.

Pin the guy against the wall until he gives you a clear answer. If he doesn't speak to his boss, if he doesn't speak to his. Don't get fobbed off that easily.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 19 October 2011, 16:13.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

By the way.. there is a sticky at the top of this area of the forums that is called Umbrella Companies...

There is also a thread in there where someone tried slating Parasol without doing their homework. There is a contact for you to try..

Ian, I am Parasol's PR Manager. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or give me a call on 01925 644 892 (my direct line) so we can go through your issues.

Thanks

Steven
        Have fun..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...a-company.html

Comment

I'm curious. What were you expecting to see on your payslip. Something like:

Salary £800
          Fee £27.50
          ------------
          Net £772.50

Do you not pay taxes and NI then?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I'm curious. What were you expecting to see on your payslip. Something like:

Salary £800
            Fee £27.50
            ------------
            Net £772.50

Do you not pay taxes and NI then?
            He does say in the original post that he then paid tax and NI afterwards. Do these companies not retain a certain amount of money for holiday/sick pay ?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ottobin View Post
              Hello all,

I am new here and I tried to do a search on here but found nothing.

Basically when I got my first payslip from parasol group recently for 3 weeks freelance work I did I saw on the payslip they charged me a fee of £295.20 which they call "employment costs". I only thought they would charge me a small fee of £27.50 per week, which they did. No where on their website or in their material do they explain a "employment costs" fee would be charged nor it is mentioned in their take home pay calculator. I was never made aware of it when I signed up to them.

Does anyone know what this fee is??

I rang them to find out but felt they gave me the run around with no direct clear answer. When I asked them if this "employment cost" fee was a mandatory cost that all umbrella companies charge they said they "could not comment". Is that an obvious NO?

Once they took out the fees and employment costs I was then charged my income tax and national insurance which I was fully aware of. Just need to know where this "employment costs" fee came from?

I need help with to find out if I am getting ripped off? Why on their site do they hide this cost? Do other umbrella companies charge a fee for "employment costs"?

Any info to help me understand would be helpful!
              Hi there
              I am Parasol's PR Manager and you are welcome to contact me directly. Or if you would prefer PM me with your contact details and we'll get in touch with you ASAP.
              Steven

Comment

My guess

Would be that Parasol are lumping the Employer's NI together with their fee on the payslip.

I spoke to a chap at an agency and he said that Parasol are putting all of their contractors through a "Swedish Derogation" contract with regards to AWR. This means that they get paid between assignments. I wonder if this means they are also making a deduction so that they can pay the OP between his assignments out of his own money.

I'm sure Stephen from Parasol will be able to clarify this??

Comment

on a side note.

I find it amusing that Parasol's PR manager is always present on these boards.

Not suggesting they are good or bad.... but certainly it indicates that maybe they don't always handle their customers perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                    on a side note.

I find it amusing that Parasol's PR manager is always present on these boards.

Not suggesting they are good or bad.... but certainly it indicates that maybe they don't always handle their customers perfectly.
                    Does it fck. Jesus

Comment

Working...
                    X