• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC refunded VAT overpayment which i am not due.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC refunded VAT overpayment which i am not due.

HMRC refunded £36 back to my accounts saying i have a credit balance on my FRS VAT account.

Problem is that they are wrong.
    I checked via my accounts.....
    It turns out on a VAT return submitted back in 2008 , that I the declared VAT value was £36 less than the amount that I actually paid.

so what should I do bearing in mind that all my accounting is using SAGE hence double entries that will ripple through my accounts?

I wish they will just take the money back(to make my life easy) but there are kind of refusing there is a problem cos they cant see that far back on their system....

cheers

css_jay99

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    HMRC refunded £36 back to my accounts saying i have a credit balance on my FRS VAT account.

Problem is that they are wrong.
    I checked via my accounts.....
    It turns out on a VAT return submitted back in 2008 , that I the declared VAT value was £36 less than the amount that I actually paid.

so what should I do bearing in mind that all my accounting is using SAGE hence double entries that will ripple through my accounts?

I wish they will just take the money back(to make my life easy) but there are kind of refusing there is a problem cos they cant see that far back on their system....
    cheers

css_jay99
    So they won't be able to argue with my £10k claim from 3 years ago that I forgot to put in?

But seriously, all you need to do is make an entry in other income balanced with an increase to the P & L for the year in question? As long as you include narrative, that will be acceptable shirley?

Comment

Add them as a creditor on your system. Don't go back in the system, treat it as if HMRC had loaned you the money at the date paid and just keep it as a liability.

Comment

So is the issue that you are not due this or that you are due the money but are not sure how to account for it?

Comment

Cost a darn sight more than £36 for them to rectify it properly, I'd have thought. Just make a compensating error to balance your books and overpay on some future date. As long as HMRC get broadly what they are owed I have never found them to be bothered about trivial bookkeeping errors, people make those all the time.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Issue is that my accounts so far is correct but their account is not correct hence they think they owe me £36..... So they automatically paid that into my account . The dude I spoke to on the phone was not bothered and said I could overstate my next VAT by £36

Would that not just cause more issues if they tally the figures on the return up....... And then sent it back to me again?

This is a pain to get rid off! From a clean double entry point of view

Comment

Working...
            X