• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant Problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    Firstly, no NIC (either employees or employers) would be due on an annual salary of £7000 - the National Insurance bands are per 'employment' not per person. So you could have five jobs, each paying a salary of £7000, giving a total income of £35,000 and you would not pay any NIC.

snip blah blah CT stuff...
    Alan
    So I could have 10 jobs - and earn 70k without paying NI?

What about if I leave one and hand the other my P45 (as kitty would be doing?)

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post

I take it this is hypothetical as a permie and not realistic to the contracting via LTD setup.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NI isn't on a P45, that form shows the previous pay and tax only. So yes, effectively you could.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          NI isn't on a P45, that form shows the previous pay and tax only. So yes, effectively you could.
          Right. Interesting. Didn't realise that one.

Not that it is relevent to me, purely hypothetical.

Thanks.

Just thinking about this.... I've never delved into the related companies type stuff as it is also not relevent to me.... What stops me from having 3 limited companies each earning some revenue from different contracts for the year and taking a 7k salary from each?.. I assume HMRC will just say that this is an artificial structure to avoid NI if they are all the same contracting type business? But can't do much about it if they all get revenue from different business models - i.e ONe Contractor Company, One selling fish etc etc.
          Last edited by prozak; 9 December 2011, 11:16.

Comment

Thanks.

Just thinking about this.... I've never delved into the related companies type stuff as it is also not relevent to me.... What stops me from having 3 limited companies each earning some revenue from different contracts for the year and taking a 7k salary from each?.. I assume HMRC will just say that this is an artificial structure to avoid NI if they are all the same contracting type business? But can't do much about it if they all get revenue from different business models - i.e ONe Contractor Company, One selling fish etc etc.
            Self-assessment is in on your worldwide income so you only get 1 personal allowance, therefore not possible.
            http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Thanks.

By that logic paying dividends could be seen as avoiding NI. If you're a director and being paid a notional salary from each company to recompense you for your director duties, then I don't see a problem.

You may have problems with related/associated company rules for CT and VAT though (depending on business type and ownership).
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
                Self-assessment is in on your worldwide income so you only get 1 personal allowance, therefore not possible.
                Daniel.. just in reference to NI...

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                  By that logic paying dividends could be seen as avoiding NI. If you're a director and being paid a notional salary from each company to recompense you for your director duties, then I don't see a problem.

You may have problems with related/associated company rules for CT and VAT though (depending on business type and ownership).
                  interesting.

though with CT at 20% now the benefit of doing this seems negligible as anything over 7475 is going to be taxed anyhow.

So I guess the benefit is about £80.... i.e. the corp tax you wouldn't pay on the additional personal allowance of £400 - odd that is not currently being paid to avoid NI.

Comment

Thanks.

I'd take it that if they were significantly different revenue streams, then you could do it and get your £7k from each one without paying NI.

If they were too similar, then the Ramsay principle would apply.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes. (provided they are not associated in which case the pay is cumulated for NI purposes).

HM Revenue & Customs: Employee has more than one job

Conversely you could have 3 jobs each paying 50k and pay considerably more than you would with one job paying 150k. (This case is resolvable by applying to NICO for deferment since the upper earnings limit is actually across all employments and defined by statute. It can be awkward to resolve, but you generally get there in the end. Don't expect NICO to be writing to you saying "hey you've overpaid...")

Comment

Working...
                      X