• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overnight Subsistence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I believe it comes under their dispensation
    Nope.

Dispensation means that the employer does not need to declare certain expenses on a P11D.

It does not mean that the employee does not need to keep the receipt proving that they incurred the expense that they are claiming for.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Nope.

Dispensation means that the employer does not need to declare certain expenses on a P11D.

It does not mean that the employee does not need to keep the receipt proving that they incurred the expense that they are claiming for.
      Ok I'm a little confused, I do keep all my receipts but the only ones I have to submit to my umbrella company to process my expenses are: Fuel, Sundry Expenses and Travel.

Should they be asking for all my receipts, I know of some other contractors that use umbrella companies that insist on it.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Ok I'm a little confused, I do keep all my receipts but the only ones I have to submit to my umbrella company to process my expenses are: Fuel, Sundry Expenses and Travel.

Should they be asking for all my receipts, I know of some other contractors that use umbrella companies that insist on it.
        If you are claiming something from your employer, you need to have a receipt. If HMRC do an audit of you (and it will be you personally that's responsible rather than the employer), then how can you prove that the expense you submitted to the company ever occurred?

What would stop you (for example) claiming a £2000 laptop and never buying one? In the event of an audit, how can you show that you incurred the expense?

Just because your employer doesn't want to see your receipts doesn't mean that HMRC doesn't want to see your receipts.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          What would stop you (for example) claiming a £2000 laptop and never buying one? In the event of an audit, how can you show that you incurred the expense?

Just because your employer doesn't want to see your receipts doesn't mean that HMRC doesn't want to see your receipts.
          I have all my receipts and I keep them all, what I am asking is should they (my umbrella company) be requesting them all?
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

I have all my receipts and I keep them all, what I am asking is should they (my umbrella company) be requesting them all?
            No idea. Only they can answer that.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

All umbrella companies should perform random checks on their employees to ensure that they are not claiming expenses to which they are not entitled, so, every so often, you should be asked to supply the supporting documentation for your expense claims i.e receipts or proof of expenditure
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                All umbrella companies should perform random checks on their employees to ensure that they are not claiming expenses to which they are not entitled, so, every so often, you should be asked to supply the supporting documentation for your expense claims i.e receipts or proof of expenditure
                I gather you have a similar process or do you ask all your contractors to submit all their receipts?
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

I gather you have a similar process or do you ask all your contractors to submit all their receipts?
                  Yes, this is our process - we don't need to see all receipts as we have a dispensation (like most brollies) but I think it is best practise to carry out spot checks
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Yes, this is our process - we don't need to see all receipts as we have a dispensation (like most brollies) but I think it is best practise to carry out spot checks
                    It's comforting to hear
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X