• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overnight Subsistence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight Subsistence

Hi everyone

I'm a first time contractor and I'm currently getting to grips with what I am able to claim and what I'm not. I am using an Umbrella company at present and though they provide a wealth of information it's not always what I'm after.

I came across this while looking for guidance on overnight subsistence when staying away from home

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480_appendix8.pdf

Under sections 337 and 338 it states:
    Allowable expenses can include the cost of a meal, the cost of a reasonable level of refreshments
    (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) with the meal and refreshments such as tea, coffee or soft
    drinks taken between meals.

Does this mean I allowed to claim a couple of alcoholic drinks with my evening meal or am I misinterpretting or misunderstanding what HMRC are trying to convey.

I'd be really grateful on any advice over this subject

Thanks
    In Scooter we trust

as your employer there policy the Umbrella company

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm a first time contractor and I'm currently getting to grips with what I am able to claim and what I'm not. I am using an Umbrella company at present and though they provide a wealth of information it's not always what I'm after.

I came across this while looking for guidance on overnight subsistence when staying away from home

Allowable expenses can include the cost of a meal, the cost of a reasonable level of refreshments
    (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) with the meal and refreshments such as tea, coffee or soft

Does this mean I allowed to claim a couple of alcoholic drinks with my evening meal or am I misinterpretting or misunderstanding what HMRC are trying to convey.

Thanks
    I have my own Limited company as I am not a mug hence it's my company policy to have a bottle of wine or 3 with my dinner when working away

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks
      Ask your Umbrella!

What else are you paying them for?

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks
        I would say you're fine as long as you're claiming the actual amount you're spending
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
          Ask your Umbrella!

What else are you paying them for?
          Asking my umbrella is not always the swiftest and correct way to get an answer unfortunatley as I know that policies differ from Umbrella to Umbrella ultimately though if HMRC are happy with it your Umbrella cannot refuse it hence my question.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            I have my own Limited company as I am not a mug hence it's my company policy to have a bottle of wine or 3 with my dinner when working away
            I gather you don't advocate using Umbrella companies then?
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

I gather you don't advocate using Umbrella companies then?
              Is this going to go the way of most threads on here?

Umbrella v Ltd ?

I'm not getting involved this time.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                Is this going to go the way of most threads on here?

Umbrella v Ltd ?

I'm not getting involved this time.
                I gather it's often a contentious issue, though I will say I did research both and came to the conclusion that for the time being Umbrella was the best way to go for me so that I could build up some collateral and then switch to being a limited company. I found the whole IR35 issue a bit of a put off being a first timer
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

. I found the whole IR35 issue a bit of a put off being a first timer
                  Just on that one point, because of that fear people are paying around £250m a year in taxes and NICs that are almost certainly not due.

By all means use an umbrella for convenience or security or simplicity, which they provide in spades, but these days IR35 is sufficiently well undertood that it is actually a pretty lame reason.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

When Im stopping out after visiting clients site I will have a couple of beers or wines with my evening meal. It just gets added to the hotel bill.

I don't see anything wrong with that

Comment

Working...
                    X