Contract Review Contract Review - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Contract Review

Faqqed Off

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan View Post
    I bet you're very experienced at spotting if any changes need to made, do you now do your own reviews?
    I read the contract and see if there is anything that I can spot. I rarely do, though - there was one a few years back that was so blatant that anyone could have spotted it, as the agent was offering an IR35 unfriendly contract to try to force me to opt out of the agency regulations. I understand a fair bit about IR35, but I'm no expert, which is why I pay someone to check it for me.

There are some things that come back which I disagree with, but I'll normally ask the agent to change them (e.g. some reviews might suggest that the ability to give notice points to IR35 whilst others say that not being able to give notice point to being inside IR35 as it's MOO) if I feel that it's likely to happen.

At the end of the day, it's the working practices that count, which is easier to defend if you have a matching contract. That said, having a decent contract doesn't mean anything if the client doesn't operate that way. Contractor Weekly have been writing a fictional account of an IR35 investigation (google IR35 chronicles as I don't want to put a link on CUK) which makes interesting reading about this very point.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Super poster

Even if the contract is within IR35, is it still more profitable to go Ltd than stay Umbrella?

Fingers like lightning

Note that in the very very unlikely event that HMRC win against for IR35, and you HAVE had the contract reviewed, this can count as due dilligence and you are likely to be able to avoid additional fines, as you were acting in what you believed to be the correct manner after professional advice. Won't save you from paying the tax though

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Even if the contract is within IR35, is it still more profitable to go Ltd than stay Umbrella?
    Yes. Next.
    Blog? What blog...?

Contractor Among Contractors

As ma has said, Yes, the main reasons are 5% allowance, Flat rate vat saving, claiming expenses, lower costs.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    As ma has said, Yes, the main reasons are 5% allowance, Flat rate vat saving, claiming expenses, lower costs.
    I guess all that's left is to find a good accountant and I can make my preparations to go LTD

More time posting than coding

Just wanted to jump in here and say thanks for this thread. I've been wondering this myself. I was thinking contracts would be pretty much standard these days, but I guess it never hurts to get the review done.

Godlike

Has anyone had their contract reviewed to see if it is outside of IR35 and if so did they find it particularly useful and would you recommend it?
    I've had my last 3 contracts reviewed by Bauer & Cottrill. Well worth it for peace of mind but also to prove to that shower of tulipe at HMRC that you have taken due dilligence should you ever get the dreaded IR35 investigation.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Just wanted to jump in here and say thanks for this thread. I've been wondering this myself. I was thinking contracts would be pretty much standard these days, but I guess it never hurts to get the review done.
    Yes, pretty standard tulipe if Im honest! B&C really beefed up my contracts where agents wouldnt entertain doing the same if you tried yourself (not that you'd have the knowledge to beef it up!)
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!