• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommend experienced accountant with online software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yeh. To be honest, I thought PCG accredited - must be good. It turns out they need to pass some sort of exam to get this (and probably pay the PCG to be listed).

Looked like the company in question could see some lucrative dosh from IT contractors and fancied a bit of that. Turned out didn't really have a clue about any of it. Made a complete mess of almost everything they did (couldnt even arrange to send me the correct direct debit form).
    And of course you told PCG about it so they could do something about him?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      And of course you told PCG about it so they could do something about him?
      I did contact them. Not interested in my feedback unless it was some specific instance of professional misconduct. Being useless - not interested....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I did contact them. Not interested in my feedback unless it was some specific instance of professional misconduct. Being useless - not interested....
        "Being useless" is not exactly very specific, is it? I assume you can quote an example of why the accountant failed to provide advice specific to you as a contractor that he would have learned from the Accreditation training.

If he's just generally disorganised or incompetent, that's not part of the PCG Accreditation. And on that point, you can diss him for being a useless accountant but not for being a useless PCG Accredited Accountant; all that does is unfairly devalue the scheme itself..

Or is this just another opportunistic "Let's knock the PCG for being hopeless" post?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          "Being useless" is not exactly very specific, is it? I assume you can quote an example of why the accountant failed to provide advice specific to you as a contractor that he would have learned from the Accreditation training.

If he's just generally disorganised or incompetent, that's not part of the PCG Accreditation. And on that point, you can diss him for being a useless accountant but not for being a useless PCG Accredited Accountant; all that does is unfairly devalue the scheme itself..

Or is this just another opportunistic "Let's knock the PCG for being hopeless" post?
          No. Not knocking the PCG at all. Im a member and think they're excellent.

Just pointing out what you said that PCG accreditation is no indicator to how good an accountant they are. Perhaps my mistake was assuming he knew what he was doing because he was accredited but blatantly he did not.

Personally, I know PCG say on their website that any accreditation is not a recommendation but I cant help thinking that PCG are going to cause themselves problems with this. Obviously, in my case, the fella passed the accreditation thing which makes me wonder how hard it is to pass?
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

No. Not knocking the PCG at all. Im a member and think they're excellent.

Just pointing out what you said that PCG accreditation is no indicator to how good an accountant they are. Perhaps my mistake was assuming he knew what he was doing because he was accredited but blatantly he did not.

Personally, I know PCG say on their website that any accreditation is not a recommendation but I cant help thinking that PCG are going to cause themselves problems with this. Obviously, in my case, the fella passed the accreditation thing which makes me wonder how hard it is to pass?
            It's not that easy, but generally accountants are quite good at assimilating detail information: have you seen Tolley's lately?

The point about the perceived value of the Accreditation has been picked up and is being looked at. After all, being good at IR35 is damn all use if you can't fill out a CT100 accurately and don't have a reminder process for your clients.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X