• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant stated my PC Purchase cannot have VAT reimbursed on Flat Rate VAT scheme..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They know their stuff.

However if the relationship between you and your accountant has broken down due to you trying to pull the wool over his eyes then you need to change accountants.
    You mean due to "him" pulling the wool over "my" eyes....

Well yeah a little bit wary now of this accountant. If I had not contested it I would have been over £1K+ down which is not acceptable.

I'm may be considering ESC16 soon for limited company shut down (before it is done away with) and I am REALLY worried what they are going to advise me, its not something that is as easy to understand in terms of procedure and trust in my accountant is not that high at the moment, I may go down the liquidation option as I got over £150k in the account but again how can I trust what they tell me....

someone wish me luck.. I just want an IT contractor accountant that knows all this stuff not just a number cruncher.

thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      You mean due to "him" pulling the wool over "my" eyes.....
      You haven't explained how you have bought a £2800 computer and £2400 worth of monitors. He probably thinks you are either lying or trying some quick trick like we do. He might only be a number cruncher but he will know £5200 on computers is ridiculous.

Personally I think you are lying and just trolling again.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You haven't explained how you have bought a £2800 computer and £2400 worth of monitors. He probably thinks you are either lying or trying some quick trick like we do. He might only be a number cruncher but he will know £5200 on computers is ridiculous.

Personally I think you are lying and just trolling again.
        Dude the 1 TB solid state HD alone cost a bomb for the first invoice and the other two monitors were the biggest you could get.

Yes I admit I've gone silly but I love my fast PCs (for work).

Comment

Dude the 1 TB solid state HD alone cost a bomb for the first invoice and the other two monitors were the biggest you could get.

OK, so you've gone and brought yourself a kick arse rig with dual graphics cards, the biggest monitors you could get, a crazy amount of SSD and 7.1 speaker system and now you want to put this on the company expenses as a "business" machine. Is this really "wholly and exclusively" for business use or is there some other purpose for it (like you are big into playing computer games).

You had better have a good justification for the expense because the above is exactly what HMRC will say when they investigate the expense. They aren't stoopid and you're not the first person to try something like that.

Is this why the accountant refused to play ball? To be honest, they are probably doing you a favour. You can claim whatever you like but you will get a big fine and penalties when you get investigated and they find out that you are taking the piss.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

What sort of work do you do?

Sounds like you might have a direct link to EELT and require all that speed to process the images of alien life form planets in the Canopus solar system.

Sounds like fascinating work.

Either that or you are running your own telco and processing all those CDR's

Comment

Come on. Post a linky for the monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Come on. Post a linky for the monitors.
                Sony Bravia KDL55EX503U 55-inch Widescreen Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and yes he lives in a council flat. LOL

Comment

SSD drives can easily add £1k to the cost of the PC.
                  A decent GPU can add another £500.
                  A PC with the power supply and basic setup to support all that (i7, 8/16Gb) would be £1000 at least.

Fast CPU and SSD are justifiable as the best tools for a developer.
                  GPU is justifiable IF you work in this area... games or visualization... not for typical development
                  Decent/dual monitors are fine, studies show they improve performance.

Some companies use the spec of their PCs to entice developers - "best kit money can buy" so £2-3k is justifiable, but clearly buying TVs is another story.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

To be fair, it is possible to blow £1200 on a monitor but I think the TV/Monitor is off topic (mea culpa)

This is about claiming back for items over 2K when on FRVS. Which should be allowed.

If the accountant thinks its's a dodgy purchase (ie TVs) then it wouldn't be allowable as a (wholly)business expense anyway.

Or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      SSD drives can easily add £1k to the cost of the PC.
                      A decent GPU can add another £500.
                      A PC with the power supply and basic setup to support all that (i7, 8/16Gb) would be £1000 at least.

Fast CPU and SSD are justifiable as the best tools for a developer.
                      GPU is justifiable IF you work in this area... games or visualization... not for typical development
                      Decent/dual monitors are fine, studies show they improve performance.

Some companies use the spec of their PCs to entice developers - "best kit money can buy" so £2-3k is justifiable, but clearly buying TVs is another story.
                      c'mon.
                      no one "needs" a solid state drive I don't care what you are doing.

I have a customer database. I wish to run this on a "proper" database. My line of work is in this area as well. I still don't kid myself that I could get away with buying a Teradata, Exadata, Netezza, HANA etc box.

Comment

Working...
                      X