• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant stated my PC Purchase cannot have VAT reimbursed on Flat Rate VAT scheme..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prozak View Post
    How many of you (including the OP) take work out of your customers environment to work on it at home where you require the high spec puter?

If you don't, this is a pretty easy thing for HMRC to knock back I reckon.

You may very well claim that you require alien technnology to do your super dooper programming - but if HMRC can easily prove you don't do it then do you have a leg to stand on?
    When HMRC bring in an expert on software development who can tell me the hour a day I save on compiling code isn't relevant, I guess we'll find out.
    I work 100% from home. Anyone who just uses their PC to send invoices is clearly taking the p***.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Next thing you know, you'll be implying that the OP is a troll
      Heaven forbid!!! Perish the thought...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How many of you (including the OP) take work out of your customers environment to work on it at home where you require the high spec puter?

If you don't, this is a pretty easy thing for HMRC to knock back I reckon.

You may very well claim that you require alien technnology to do your super dooper programming - but if HMRC can easily prove you don't do it then do you have a leg to stand on?
        When I was working away, I could have walked to London each week to get to client site. However, I chose to catch a train down and travel first class. Just because I can do something slower and more painfully, does that mean that doing it any other way stops it becoming an expense?

I have a separate hard drive for my virtual machine images. I don't need one to do the work, but for a number of reasons, I decided that it would be sensible to do so. I don't need a six-core processor, but for the work that I do at home (which this year has proved to be a lot, but not so much in the past), it makes sense to do so. When HMRC can prove that it's an unnecessary luxury to do so, then we'll all be in trouble because nothing will be a valid expense.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

c'mon. no one "needs" a solid state drive I don't care what you are doing.
          The servers I use at work run on a SAN with SSD. I bring stuff home to work on and I have a couple of machines at which run SSDs (they are only about £1 per gig, not that expensive). Working with fairly large data sets, it makes a big difference - these things are really fast.

But really, that has bugger all to do with it because ASB has hit the nail on the head here:

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          But where does excessive stop it being claimable? (serious question). Surely if the business bought it the text is "wholly and exclusively". It is only if it is being expensed and reclaimed that "wholly necessarily and exclusively" applies.
          HMRC's manual makes it clear that it's not up to the inspectors to judge if an expenditure is a "good business decision" or not, only if it is "wholly and exclusively" incurred for business reasons. So you could buy an iPad to take notes in business meetings and it's not their place to suggest that you could have done just as well with a pencil and paper. But it is up to them to decide if that expenditure is "wholly and exclusively" for business use and if there is a potential duality of purpose then you will have to justify it.

From the hmrc manual:

You should note that ICTA88/S74 (1)(a) does not include the requirement in the expenses rule for employees that the expenditure be ‘necessary’. Whilst it is reasonable to scrutinise the claimed purpose of an expense you should not attempt to substitute your own judgement for that of the taxpayer. If the taxpayer can show that their only purpose for incurring a particular expense was for their trade, profession or vocation then it does not matter that the same result could have been achieved by different means or that the expenditure in the event fails to achieve the established purpose. Expenditure that is manifestly uneconomic may be an indication that there was another (non-business) reason for it being incurred, in which event you should disallow it.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            You should note that ICTA88/S74 (1)(a) does not include the requirement in the expenses rule for employees that the expenditure be ‘necessary’. Whilst it is reasonable to scrutinise the claimed purpose of an expense you should not attempt to substitute your own judgement for that of the taxpayer. If the taxpayer can show that their only purpose for incurring a particular expense was for their trade, profession or vocation then it does not matter that the same result could have been achieved by different means or that the expenditure in the event fails to achieve the established purpose. Expenditure that is manifestly uneconomic may be an indication that there was another (non-business) reason for it being incurred, in which event you should disallow it.
            To paraphrase - if you want to run your company like a dick, that's fine, as long as you do it legally.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              The servers I use at work run on a SAN with SSD. I bring stuff home to work on and I have a couple of machines at which run SSDs (they are only about £1 per gig, not that expensive). Working with fairly large data sets, it makes a big difference - these things are really fast.

But really, that has bugger all to do with it because ASB has hit the nail on the head here:

HMRC's manual makes it clear that it's not up to the inspectors to judge if an expenditure is a "good business decision" or not, only if it is "wholly and exclusively" incurred for business reasons. So you could buy an iPad to take notes in business meetings and it's not their place to suggest that you could have done just as well with a pencil and paper. But it is up to them to decide if that expenditure is "wholly and exclusively" for business use and if there is a potential duality of purpose then you will have to justify it.

From the hmrc manual:

I agree, however this is the position for whether it is claimable as an expense and can be written down in accordance with the capital allowance rules.

However, this wasn't the OPs original question. They were querying the ability to reclaim the VAT (specifically on the FRS). I don't see any reason why it should be different, but I can't find any guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                I agree, however this is the position for whether it is claimable as an expense and can be written down in accordance with the capital allowance rules.

However, this wasn't the OPs original question. They were querying the ability to reclaim the VAT (specifically on the FRS). I don't see any reason why it should be different, but I can't find any guidance.
                VAT is not recalimable if it is a personal purchase rather than a business one; VAT is based on the supply of goods or services, so if no supply, no reclaim. Perhaps that's why the OP's accountant was asking the question...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Has the OP done the right thing and spoken to his accountant again yet????
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    VAT is not recalimable if it is a personal purchase rather than a business one; VAT is based on the supply of goods or services, so if no supply, no reclaim. Perhaps that's why the OP's accountant was asking the question...
                    OP says it was a company purchase, so it should be allowed

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    Yes it was just the Windows PC on the single invoice, with my company name on the top and all the hard disks, graphics card etc itemised on the same single invoice addresssed to my flat rate VAT limited company.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      OP says it was a company purchase, so it should be allowed
                      OP didn't say it was for business purposes though. If it has no trading purpose it's not reclaimable, in the same way as buying my team lunch once a month is not reclaimable since they are not my clients so offer no service value (the clue to VAT is in the name). However it is a business expense since I wouldn't buy them lunch if they didn't work for me.

FTAOD I'm not saying it isn't claimable, merely exploring why the accountant might think it wasn't. Anyway, if the OP is confident it is claimable despite his accountant's opinion, it's up to him to put it on the VAT reclaim.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X