• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unfair Termination of contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfair Termination of contract?

Hi

Was on a 6 month contract. Given a weeks notice as per contract in month 5. Told thanks for all the good work, did a great job but was not needed anymore as my work was complete.

Found out another contractor has been moved from another country to replace me and the work i was doing. Apparently he was unhappy working in other country.

Whilst under contract the company paid for certain things for me such as hotel.

Do I have any grounds against the company?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Topboy

Not likely.

Comment

If they didn't break the terms of notice in your contract and give you the money you invoiced then probably not.

Not telling you the real reason for giving you notice doesn't count in our world.

You're a contractor not a permanent employee.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Topboy View Post
        Hi

Was on a 6 month contract. Given a weeks notice as per contract in month 5. Told thanks for all the good work, did a great job but was not needed anymore as my work was complete.

Found out another contractor has been moved from another country to replace me and the work i was doing. Apparently he was unhappy working in other country.

Topboy
        None. Notice given as per contract.

Time for next contract.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Topboy View Post
          Hi

Topboy
          This has to be a wind up.

Comment

Probably.

But if I think it's a question that could help someone else in a similar situation, then I'll answer it properly.

Too many trolling questions will get them banned, however.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
              This has to be a wind up.
              I second that. I mean, how is it "unfair"? Either they adhere to the terms of the contract, or they didn't. In this case, they were obligated (under the contract) to give you a week's notice of termination of said contract, which they duly did.

Now, the reason as to why they did that is neither here nor there. You're not an employee. They can terminate your contract (with the contractual notice period given) just because they don't like the look of your face, or if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction if they please!

Comment

There is, of course, the question of whether or not the Visa system was abused, in the replacement of a worker. They're not really allowed to do that ya know
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  There is, of course, the question of whether or not the Visa system was abused, in the replacement of a worker. They're not really allowed to do that ya know
                  People have many reasons for not telling you the truth. Rarely is it because they lack the cojones to speak honestly. Usually, it's because they are either hiding something (in the case of replacing you with an ICT) or because they don't want to hurt your feelings.

The OP said they gave notice because the work was finished. What the OP didn't say was whether in their opinion, it was actually finished. That should provide a clue. If the work the OP was taken on to do was finished early and the other bod was parachuted in to do something else then there is no issue. If the work wasn't finished, why didn't the OP discuss that at the time they were notified and at least before they left?

Comment

Hang on now isnt the bottom line that its just tough titty?

The client/agency can do as they see fit. They dont have to explain anything. They even gave the OP a paid notice period which is more than some get.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X