• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the Netherlands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the Netherlands

Hi,

I have just secured a contract which will be for the next year beginning in January 2012 based in Holland. My question is regarding tax liability:

I am a UK passport holder (born in UK but not lived there for years!) and I will be working through a UK based Agency who will pay me into my 'offshore' account. My agency will have the relationship with the client and I will bill my agency for days worked. Who is liable for tax, if anyone? I appreciate I may have a liability in my 'home' country (China) but other than that would there be any problem in Holland or the UK? I will be staying in company provided accommodation.

Any advice you can give would be great!

The Netherlands are somewhat draconian when it comes to tax, and their penalties are harsh if you get it wrong. CUK have a handy guide to get started with IT Contracting in The Netherlands: Money & Tax :: Contractor UK

My best advice is to find an accountant in Holland and talk to them. The agency can probably recommend someone as they must have contractors is this situation all the time if they work there often.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Welcome to my world

Originally posted by syd433 View Post
      Hi,

I have just secured a contract which will be for the next year beginning in January 2012 based in Holland. My question is regarding tax liability:

I am a UK passport holder (born in UK but not lived there for years!) and I will be working through a UK based Agency who will pay me into my 'offshore' account. My agency will have the relationship with the client and I will bill my agency for days worked. Who is liable for tax, if anyone? I appreciate I may have a liability in my 'home' country (China) but other than that would there be any problem in Holland or the UK? I will be staying in company provided accommodation.

Any advice you can give would be great!
      If you work in holland you pay tax in holland 53% - I think I pay minus the 30% ruling.

HMRC are loving teddy bears compared to the dutch tax office.

are you 100% sure the agent will pay you off-shore?, I suspect like 99.9% of contractors I know when you turn up they will say you need to go via a Dutch payroller - as if your end clients find out they will sack your agent as the end client would be responsible for your tax when the tax man comes calling. (hence why end clients normally insist on dutch payrollers and 100% if any bank)

Comment

Working...
      X