• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Criminal record check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminal record check

I haven't researched this in great detail but would I be right in thinking that a CRB check requires the person's permission?

Is there any way of finding out if someone has a criminal past without their knowledge?

As it is accessing highly sensitive and personal information i.e. your criminal record I am almost certain it would be for a CRB.

The link below is for volunteering for the police and confirms you must give permission.

Essential Checks Before Volunteering - Police & CRB - Voluntary Worker

The following is CRB check guidelines for the NHS and says 'Disclosure information should only be used for the specific purpose for which it was requested and with the applicant’s full consent.'

NHS Guidelines

Am sure there are other docs around but it seems to be the case.

I wouldn't have thought you could with the type on information you are dealing with here. Private Investigators might be able to help but I wouldn't think their methods legal.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 January 2012, 13:37.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

Is there any way of finding out if someone has a criminal past without their knowledge?
      Unless it's been splashed over the media including local newspapers and industry newspapers, there is no legal way to obtain it without their permission.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Yes there is. Something commonly done by some places is quite easy to get away with. Once you have all the applicant details, all you need to do is fill in the forms with the applicants details and then provide a fake signature.

The CRB goes straight back to the employer anyhow. Ive done loads of CRB's without ever knowing the result or getting any correspondence back. All the employer needs to do is provide a signature, they already have all your details.

I have known for one or two companies to allegedly do this, however I wouldnt recommend it, as I wouldnt like to guess what the consequences would be.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
          I wouldnt recommend it, as I wouldnt like to guess what the consequences would be.
          An appearance before the Leveson enquiry?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The last two I've done, I've had copies sent to me by the CRB lot saying who requested it. They were Enhanced ones though so maybe that's the difference.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

The background is I'm an Executor of a Will, carrying out Probate, and I'm looking into possible misappropriation of tens of thousands of pounds involving cheques. The person in the frame has been caught out lying so there are already doubts over their honesty. However, the sheer audacity of the cheque transactions makes me wonder if they've got previous.

There isn't enough evidence to take to the Police yet and these types of cases are complicated by the fact that the main witness (the deceased) can't testify. If this ends up in court then it's more likely to be a civil claim, where previous criminal convictions are admissible.

If the person has form then this could be useful leverage to force an out of court settlement.

I may try a local PI.

Comment

There are 2 levels of check, standard and enhanced. I've had both. I dont believe anyone could obtain CRB checks on someone else without the person's permission or knowledge.

Organisations have to be registered with CRB to issue the check forms. If you are an individual, you have to quote the organisation' reference number who is asking you to apply for a check. You also have to provide proof of your name, dob address via original documentation.

Of course you could go down the fraudulent path to provide all that info but I wouldnt like to get caught.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...wjob/DG_195811
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                X