• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC increase the Home Office allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC increase the Home Office allowance

HMRC are increasing the allowance contractors may claim for working at home, from £3 to £4 per week.

Contractors and freelancers can be reimbursed for additional household expenses – such as gas or electricity charges - incurred because you have to work from home, probably in order to your limited company administration work.

From 2012-13 onwards, for payments of up to £4.00 per week, you do not need to provide any records of the household expenses you are claiming. For amounts above £4.00 you need supporting evidence to show that the payment is no more than the additional household expenses you have incurred.

The guideline rate for 2008-09 to 2011-12 was £3.00 per week and for 2007-08 and earlier years it was £2.00 per week.

HM Revenue & Customs: Homeworking

Thanks NW - I'd heard it was increasing but hadn't seen HMRC had actually updated their website yet. Useful link.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
      The guideline rate for 2008-09 to 2011-12 was £3.00 per week and for 2007-08 and earlier years it was £2.00 per week.
      They are getting softer in their old age it seems!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And who'd be foolish enough to give HMRC a legal right of entry into their office \ home all for 4 quid a week?

Thanks but I'll pass on this one.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          And who'd be foolish enough to give HMRC a legal right of entry into their office \ home all for 4 quid a week?
          Where does it say HMRC have a legal right of entry to your office/home?
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Where does it say HMRC have a legal right of entry to your office/home?
            By using your home as an office, it gives HMRC a legal right of entry. Its in the legislation.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

By using your home as an office, it gives HMRC a legal right of entry. Its in the legislation.
              True, for that part of the home used as the office. Keep your files in the toilet

Comment

Well worth the tax relief on £3/wk (soon £4/wk) though you got to admit!

I guess if you answered the door wearing nothing but your pants, that might put them off. Actually.. this is HMRC we're taking about, forget that
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Is this tax relief of £4 per week or is this an expense to be processed through payroll with no NI or PAYE tax to be invovled at £4 pw ?

Comment

I currently claim £3 per week through my expenses, so it doesn't hit paye/nic.
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X