• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - lobbyng campaign funding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes really

Originally posted by Guttersnipe View Post
    Really? Most, if not all, of mine are aghast and quite a few talk about returning to Australia/NZ/SA/whichever fly-blown hellhole they used to call home.
    Most say how much did you earn and you paid how much tax did you pay - its no wonder HMRC are after you.
    THE KEY thing from our side is:- why did HMRC wait 7 years before doing something about it.
    Hell if HMRC had told me in 2005, that I would get a Retro TAX bill at PAYE terms for last years work. I would have left MP in 2005 ASAP. Then taken my chances with IR35.....
    We have to go down the HRMC and how Incompetence they are! The public don't give a stuff about us.

Comment

A THOUGHT

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
      Just keep in mind that a decent lobbying company based in London will charge from about £7K to £10K a month and there are no guarantees when it comes to results. A lot of organisations spent a lot of money lobbying against IR35, AWR, etc and so on, and got nowhere.

Lots of nice replies from MPs and smiley meetings yes, actual results no.

The current media zeitgeist is also against you. You have high profile opposition MPs calling limited company PSCs tax dodgers etc and the Daily Mail and the sun (the two most read publications in this country) are lapping it up. The irony is the editor of both titles is probably doing it himself.

Say for example an MP has one BN66 victim turn up to his surgery every week. He will probaly have ten people turning up complaining about the 'squeezed middle' and 'millionaire tax dodgers'. Even though the MPs know that it's not as black and white as that, they will sacrifice one vote for ten.

The chancellor even used the phrase 'morally repugnat' when refering to tax evasion and aggressive tax avoidance yesterday and the definitions of both seem to have been blurred recently.

I am not, by any means, trying to talk you out of anything or commenting on whether or not I think its a good idea or not. I'm sure none of you care. But do go into this fully aware of how these things work and be prepared for a lot of expense over a prolong period of time that may not generate any results.
      If the mountain was smooth you couldn't climb it !!

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
        Its all down to our angle....and we need a bloody good one.
        I have explained my/our case to family and friends, most don't really understand, those that do think I am tax dodger....and well done HMRC.
        Heaven help us all!
        HMRC say I owe over 110K - but I have no means to pay.
        You might need to work on those explanations,
        Not a single person I have explained this to thinks it is right:
        "due to a change in the law which has retrospective effect, a historical tax charge arises where none previously existed"...
        ...then I mention the interest charges for "late" payment, and they become incredulous (think "Victor Meldrew").

Comment

Lobbying not PR

Bear in mind, we are talking about lobbying to politicians, not a PR campaign to joe public.

This is about legitimate expectation, the rule of law etc.

Comment

Maybe my family and friends are more sympathetic, but whenever I have explained my situation, they cannot believe that the government could have treated us in a such a way and demanded taxes and interest retrospectively for such a long period of time.

They are still under the impression that Britain is a "fair" country with a "fair" justice and political system and I have to explain to them that it is not the case.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

What are the next steps on this?

Does anyone have parliamentary connections in order to find a lobbying firm? I may be able to help as neighbour used to be an MP.
              A bank account and a trusted account signatory need to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Guttersnipe View Post
                What are the next steps on this?

Does anyone have parliamentary connections in order to find a lobbying firm? I may be able to help as neighbour used to be an MP.
                A bank account and a trusted account signatory need to be found.
                Watch this space...

Comment

Excluding the AndyW option, that's £28,600 pledged so far.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    Excluding the AndyW option, that's £28,600 pledged so far.
                    Is it tax deductable ?

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
                      Is it tax deductable ?
                      It f*****g should be!

Comment

Working...
                      X