• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - lobbyng campaign funding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BN66 - lobbyng campaign funding

How much would you be willing to contribute to a lobbying campaign?
    Nothing
    5.71%
    £100
    19.05%
    £200
    43.81%
    £500
    20.00%
    £1000
    1.90%
    £2000
    3.81%
    andyw
    5.71%

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I assume you mean a thoroughbred professional firm of political lobbyists who can offer direction, insight and access to Parliamentarians and others that are in a position to either make decisions or to influence those that are.

In that case count me in.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

How to make them listen

Given the current situation there does not seem to be any downside to such an approach......however I am a tad sceptical in the ability of lobbyists to get the MPs to stop,listen,comprehend and fully appreciate our arguments. We have discussed the history, the timeline, the decisions,the reasoning,the seeming injustices and the misleads on this forum to the nth degree and are familiar with all the nuances. How do you get MPs to get a crash course in all of this without their brains switching off within thirty seconds of the mention of tax planning scheme? That is the conjuring trick - find me a magician with the ability to do this and I am willing to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorValiant View Post
        Given the current situation there does not seem to be any downside to such an approach......however I am a tad sceptical in the ability of lobbyists to get the MPs to stop,listen,comprehend and fully appreciate our arguments. We have discussed the history, the timeline, the decisions,the reasoning,the seeming injustices and the misleads on this forum to the nth degree and are familiar with all the nuances. How do you get MPs to get a crash course in all of this without their brains switching off within thirty seconds of the mention of tax planning scheme? That is the conjuring trick - find me a magician with the ability to do this and I am willing to contribute.
        I think you underestimate some of our MPs. Already some people's MPs have shown a very good grasp of the matter.

The secret lies in the presentation and most people on this forum should be good presenters if they "consult" rather than purely code in the IT industry.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          how much does this sort of thing typically cost? does it have a fixed price or is it a bottomless pit? I'm all for it if it will genuinely help but once again I feel I'm getting involved in something I know nothing about and in a previous life would never have wanted to know about either!
          I guess I need to do some research.

Comment

I hope that those who voted andyw realize that andyw is slang for £10k - the amount he tried to bribe admin to be unbanned.

admin will give us your names and we will be round to collect.....

Comment

canpaybutwouldrathernot .... well would be happy to pay in this case ...but only if the lobbyist is self employed and using an IOM ebt loan scheme :-)

Comment

I'm curious as to why people think this will work. MPs may make reassuring noises in letters and constituency surgeries but the tide in Westminster is firmly against 'artificial schemes' / 'aggressive tax avoidance' / call it what you will. I understand the retrospective nature of the legislation and the impact on people's lives, but do people really think that this argument will sway Parliament?

So, those of you who would put money in. Do you think it really might work, or is worth an outside shot, or do you have nothing left to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I'm curious as to why people think this will work. MPs may make reassuring noises in letters and constituency surgeries but the tide in Westminster is firmly against 'artificial schemes' / 'aggressive tax avoidance' / call it what you will. I understand the retrospective nature of the legislation and the impact on people's lives, but do people really think that this argument will sway Parliament?

So, those of you who would put money in. Do you think it really might work, or is worth an outside shot, or do you have nothing left to lose?
                  Personally I think it would be counterproductive. Though I believe retrospection is wrong, I believe the proles will see us as a bunch of tax-evading whiners.

But I will put money in to show solidarity with the majority.

Also, some peoople are facing bankruptcy so every £1 spent is £1 less that HMRC will get.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I hope that those who voted andyw realize that andyw is slang for £10k - the amount he tried to bribe admin to be unbanned.

admin will give us your names and we will be round to collect.....

I selected AndyW and I have 10k thanks put aside, you know just in case my tax affairs are not in order and HMRC comes knocking...
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X