• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing wifes shareholding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing wifes shareholding

Currently my wife has a 15% shareholding in my ltd co. It was set at this level so that her earnings would go up to the higher rate tax boundary. This tax year she will be earning a bit less, as she is pregnant, so will only be working half the year. The following year she will not be working at all, although will still have some income.

I would like to change the shareholdings to something like this:

April 2012: 70/30
    April 2013: 60/40

Is there anything wrong with increasing her shareholding gradually like this?

Originally posted by kempc23 View Post
    Currently my wife has a 15% shareholding in my ltd co. It was set at this level so that her earnings would go up to the higher rate tax boundary. This tax year she will be earning a bit less, as she is pregnant, so will only be working half the year. The following year she will not be working at all, although will still have some income.

A similiar question was asked last week. http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ear-dodgy.html but didn't get any responses.

Personally I think it will look dodgy but what does your accountant say? You do have one don't you.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes I have an accountant. Its Sunday, hence why I am asking here instead of contacting him. I personally assumed that as a married couple we can organise our affairs as we wish, but will need to get confirmation on that really.

Comment

How did you calculate the split ?

Originally posted by kempc23 View Post

Hi - I'm just in processing of doing this kind of split.

Currently my wife works part time in a school and earns 11k gross.

Presuming I invoice say £100k I was thinking of calculating the split this way:

30k of wife's allowance to take her to higher rate tax.

30k as percentage of 100k is 30% so the split would be 70 me 30 wife.

Does that sound right ?

Comment

Not something that we would advise.

If you are looking to change the shareholdings in the company between yourself and your spouse more than once then you may run into problems if you were to ever be investigated by HMRC as the spousal gift exemption may not apply.

HMRC may try and argue the shares that are being transferred are indeed a right to income because there is the expectation to receive the dividends if the underlying reasoning behind the transfer to ensure one or both shareholder(s) are to remain basic rate tax payer(s).

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post

If you are looking to change the shareholdings in the company between yourself and your spouse more than once then you may run into problems if you were to ever be investigated by HMRC as the spousal gift exemption may not apply.

HMRC may try and argue the shares that are being transferred are indeed a right to income because there is the expectation to receive the dividends if the underlying reasoning behind the transfer to ensure one or both shareholder(s) are to remain basic rate tax payer(s).

Alan
            Yeh. I thought that. If you change the shareholdings every year then surely it does look like your changing to avoid higher rate tax.

But then again, surely this is a grey area? After all, if you decide to leave the shareholdings as they are because you 'might' get investigated then potentially its going to cost a lot in tax....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post

Alan
              Once ever? Or once every few years?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Once ever? Or once every few years?
                What would look like it triggers S660? One year, three years?? It has not been tested, and it would be less than ideal for you to be the first case to go forward. It really is impossible to say, and I don't think you will find an accountant that will give you an actual number (which is strange for an accountant ).
                2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                  Hi - I'm just in processing of doing this kind of split.

Currently my wife works part time in a school and earns 11k gross.

Presuming I invoice say £100k I was thinking of calculating the split this way:

30k of wife's allowance to take her to higher rate tax.

30k as percentage of 100k is 30% so the split would be 70 me 30 wife.

Does that sound right ?
                  So you want to earn £70k and pay higher rate tax on the portion over £42k??

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Yeh. I thought that. If you change the shareholdings every year then surely it does look like your changing to avoid higher rate tax.

But then again, surely this is a grey area? After all, if you decide to leave the shareholdings as they are because you 'might' get investigated then potentially its going to cost a lot in tax....
                    My advice would to decide on a split when the company is formed and then leave it.

Every case is different but if the spouse becomes liable for higher rate tax then this is tax the other spouse would probably have paid in any case.

The ability to split the dividends is a 'bonus' in any case so I would not get too worked up about the split once it has been decided on.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X