• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shall I Appoint my Accountant as Company Secretary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shall I Appoint my Accountant as Company Secretary?

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Google 'Uptons' and then see what you think...
    Sorry, I dont understand what do you mean...

The reaso he suggest to be the company secretary is because, being out of the country, there will be less basic paperwork to be sent over for me to sign.

Told that I have been with him for only a short time, A friend that has been using him for 10 year has raccomnded this accountant to me.

Comment

Darren Upton was an accountant convicted of fraud. He took large amounts from HMRC by claiming back the tax people had paid out.

It is potential unsafe to give your accountant too many powers in your company. I suggest that you maintain control over the most important aspects of your company.

Uptons were recommended by many people on this forum until his fraud came to light.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cimos77 View Post
        Sorry, I dont understand what do you mean...

The reaso he suggest to be the company secretary is because, being out of the country, there will be less basic paperwork to be sent over for me to sign.

Told that I have been with him for only a short time, A friend that has been using him for 10 year has raccomnded this accountant to me.
        Just find a relation that you trust over 18 to do it for you if you can't be bothered to do it yourself.

Lots of people use their parents for things like this especially if they are the type to ask questions to protect their child's interests.

While Darren is well-known fraudster on this board, if you talk to people in other business sectors it's not uncommon to hear stories of other accountants fleecing their customers for much smaller sums of money or completely mucking things up for them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          I admit Ive had a few drinks, but are you saying you are a woman? That you are Mrs Cojak?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Since you don't need a company secretary these days, why bother with one at all?

If you do choose one, then make sure it's someone you trust implicitly - there's lots of responsibility in the post.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X