• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shall I Appoint my Accountant as Company Secretary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shall I Appoint my Accountant as Company Secretary?

Dear Forum,
    I have a limited company I use for contracting. I am moving for a while oversea and my accountant is suggesting to appoint him as company secretary, he say this will make the things easier if he need to solve some problem.

What do you think?

Thanks

Google 'Uptons' and then see what you think...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Google 'Uptons' and then see what you think...
      LOL.

OP, you like Leeds United??!
      There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comment

I'm not sure what problems it would help solve, and if I were you I'd prefer him to refer any problems to me rather than deal with them without me knowing!

With online filing being available all he needs to do is ask you, then file any paperwork on your behalf. He doesn't need to be a secretary to do that.

Any HMRC issues are dealt with via agent authorisation.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

A better option would be to make me your company secretary... seriously! LOL
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My accountant is still my Cosec from when you had to have one. There's no reason to do it nowadays.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Just to add, if your accountant is your Co sec, you might want to have a look at MSC legislation too. Bit risky there!

You probably know this already but you do know that a company doesn't need a co sec anymore. You could be sole director of the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
                Just to add, if your accountant is your Co sec, you might want to have a look at MSC legislation too. Bit risky there!

You probably know this already but you do know that a company doesn't need a co sec anymore. You could be sole director of the company.
                My accountant got a bit grumpy when I suggested this to him (sole directorship) as Mr C isn't that keen on being my Co Sec. Accountant said that I'd lose my special dispensation, but I didn't that as a huge issue. I didn't push the subject as it wasn't a big deal to me.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  My accountant got a bit grumpy when I suggested this to him (sole directorship) as Mr C isn't that keen on being my Co Sec. Accountant said that I'd lose my special dispensation, but I didn't that as a huge issue. I didn't push the subject as it wasn't a big deal to me.
                  I admit Ive had a few drinks, but are you saying you are a woman? That you are Mrs Cojak?

Comment

I'd just like confirmation that Mr C isn't reference to me either

Comment

Working...
                    X