• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
    At last some positive action – well done to everyone concerned. I’m going to get my credit card out.

On another note …….

Had Face to Face with MP today, he seemed genuinely concerned about the retrospective part of s58 and has asked our friend? DG for a response regarding his position when in opposition and his current stance. We did impress upon him that DG was giving out standard responses written by HMRC, and we didn’t think there was much mileage in this process but nonetheless he does appear to be sympathetic to our plight.

We passed on copies of relevant documents relating to 1987 and 2008 in particular the debate attempting to amend the retrospective part of S58 in which it is quite clear from the transcript that several MPs of different political stances were vociferously against the retrospective element and included in that set of voices was DG. Our MP thought that this in particular was an ‘Achilles heel’ which may be exploited. He said he would read them all to try and get a better understanding of this complicated matter. Without question he agreed that people should be able to arrange their tax affairs according to the law as it stands and not as in this case where the law was changed retrospectively.

The other thing he said he could do is to try and speak to other MPs who have constituents in the same situation who have contacted them regarding this and to this end he asked if there were any others in Scotland. Could anyone PM me if they have spoken to their MP in Scotland and who it is please? I said I would pass the names of the MPs on to him if I could find out this information, the more the better.

Have a good weekend everyone - we're just off to the pub
    Thank you for your update. Well done for taking that step. Please provide DR with details of who you saw. I know that there are a number of MPs in Scotland who have offered support. We will provide the detail to you over the weekend. In the meantime enjoy the beer, you deserve it.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Just Donated.

Will gladly donate further in future - now doubt DR will let us all know.
      This is exactly what is needed - it's good to finally see some meaningful collective direction.
      HMRC should be concerned - their comeuppance is coming...

Good on yer DR - you the man...

Shazbat

Comment

I'm having trouble loading the joining page, i'm hoping this is due to the amount of traffic :-)

also, it asks for donations, is this tax deductable?

Comment

Fantastic!!

Thanks so much DR and all involved in this.

Will also happily donate more if needed.

Off to see my MP next friday, I am feeling suitably tooled up!

Have a good weekend all

Comment

Outrageous!

"Wholly artificial"
            "Highly aggressive"
            "Flouting the clear intent of Parliament"
            "Abusive"
            "Not Public Policy"

And to think that's what is being said of...... BN66!!

Comment

Monday, Monday....

Given the campaign went live this afternoon, so a few hours after HMRC stopped work, it's likely that the first they will know of this is Monday morning. I can see it now:

"Uh hu.. Mr B? Better call Mr D and Mr M because it looks like Mr T and the A-Team "aint payin no retro tax sucker!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
                Given the campaign went live this afternoon, so a few hours after HMRC stopped work, it's likely that the first they will know of this is Monday morning. I can see it now:

"Uh hu.. Mr B? Better call Mr D and Mr M because it looks like Mr T and the A-Team "aint payin no retro tax sucker!"
                And the good thing is they will have to pay us £200 to see our website.....and they will, curiosity will get the better of the HMRC moles that frequent this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Corrian View Post
                  And the good thing is they will have to pay us £200 to see our website.....and they will, curiosity will get the better of the HMRC moles that frequent this forum.
                  Nah. We have given them their own special loginname/password for this:
                  HMRC/willcanceleveryCN

This account automatically confirms your entry...

Comment

good stuff

echo the rest of the comments - good stuff will be joining the party later
                    Last edited by funjim; 20 April 2012, 18:49. Reason: grammar innit

Comment

Well played lads - lets let everyone know about this - who's mp has a twitter account???
                      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X