• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Guys, did you send to info @ notoretrotax org uk or alternatively members @ notoretrotax org uk?

There should be forwarding setup. I'll look into it.
    Actually apologies - mine went to Carl at *whitehouse* - presume this should work though?

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
      Actually apologies - mine went to Carl at *whitehouse* - presume this should work though?
      It should do, but if it's sent to the info or members email, it will come to the attention of Carl, Frances, me and DR.

I've checked those addresses and the forwarding is working as it should.

Regards

Santa
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        It should do, but if it's sent to the info or members email, it will come to the attention of Carl, Frances, me and DR.

I've checked those addresses and the forwarding is working as it should.

Regards

Santa
        Hey Santa, I sent a draft letter to Carl and Frances yesterday, do you know if they got it?

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
          Hey Santa, I sent a draft letter to Carl and Frances yesterday, do you know if they got it?
          I'll check Lucozade.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Hit by Schemes

Has anyone been receiving emails advertising "new" schemes?

I have had 2 today one from de Graaf Resources and one from Tandem Strategies!!

Tandem Strategies quote "Our strategy for freelancers is recognised by HMRC as NOT a tax avoidance scheme."

haha What is it then!!

Any deal with or heard of these schemes, obviously heard of de Graaf!!

Answers on a post card please!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlackDog View Post
              Has anyone been receiving emails advertising "new" schemes?

I have had 2 today one from de Graaf Resources and one from Tandem Strategies!!

Tandem Strategies quote "Our strategy for freelancers is recognised by HMRC as NOT a tax avoidance scheme."

haha What is it then!!

Any deal with or heard of these schemes, obviously heard of de Graaf!!

Answers on a post card please!!
              Tandem strategies use a renumeration trust and you become a financier of the trust which enables you to take loans. They state 'HMRC do not recognise it as a tax avoidance scheme' because they do not not have a DOTAS number. I will leave you to make your own minds up if that makes a difference. Interestingly I got an email from one of the schemes under investigation on the EBT thread offering 82% retention....

Comment

Quote from Tandem Website

Originally posted by porrker View Post
                Tandem strategies use a renumeration trust and you become a financier of the trust which enables you to take loans. They state 'HMRC do not recognise it as a tax avoidance scheme' because they do not not have a DOTAS number. I will leave you to make your own minds up if that makes a difference. Interestingly I got an email from one of the schemes under investigation on the EBT thread offering 82% retention....
                This is a quote from the Tandem Website;

"This is HMRC’s official guidance on Tax Avoidance schemes and is the focus of their attention as announced in the autumn statement of Dec 2012. Page 34: “Schemes that promoters know to be known to HMRC are not caught by the hallmark. These can be evidenced from, for example, technical guidance notes, case law, or past correspondence with a case officer in HMRC where the detail of how the scheme works has been made clear.”

Surely if this is true then we are all in the clear or am I misunderstanding something.

Comment

my personal view and each to their own is that anyone that now uses any type of "scheme" needs their head examining. The stress for me after having gone through this is not something I am keen to repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    my personal view and each to their own is that anyone that now uses any type of "scheme" needs their head examining. The stress for me after having gone through this is not something I am keen to repeat!
                    Totally agree smalldog but I also think we should collectively call these companies and give them a piece of our mind before another bunch of unsuspecting victims get themselves wrapped up in it.

Never ever again. Legal or not.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      WHS! Never again. I've had a few new contractors come to me tell me about how they're joining various schemes, and I always advise them against it. They don't know about my position, but I've told them about S58 and EBTs. Most don't want to know, because what they're doing is 'entirely legal'. It's more tragedy waiting to happen. At the end of the day everyone has the right to pick their own path, I suppose. The funny thing is a lot of them don't believe that S58 is what it is, they don't believe that a British Government and HMRC would do something that would be considered outrageous in any other country.

Comment

Working...
                      X