• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    WE may technically be SMEs but trying to groups us in that category is misleading because in reality we are a whole separate sector, a micro-company if you will. The government is primarily chasing contractors or similar setups, saying they're chasing SMEs is like black footballers are abused for being footballers...
    What on Earth are you on about? I don't like where you seem to want to take this, what a ludicrous comparison, and pretty offensive too. Sorry, I've no more troll food left.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Indeed. Very annoying when you get passed over just because someone is a bit cheaper even when you have been carrying out the same role in previous contracts. Might go somewhere towards levelling the playing field again.
      You get passed over because at nearly 16,000 postings on contractor UK - you probably spend too much time faffing on the Internet and not enough time doing your job!

Comment

Gauke on LBC 7pm-8pm

Originally posted by MishiMoo View Post
        HMRC's new "pay now" powers just mentioned on LBC so I emailed this to the studio:

With HMRC's new powers to demand payment before ever reaching the tax courts, the scenario exists where someone is forced to sell their home in order to pay up disputed tax now. Then if they later win how on earth will HMRC "repay that with interest"?!?! The home was sold and is gone! Unfair, undemocratic, unreasonable and opposed by all the major accounting bodies! Even George Orwell could not have dreamed this one up!

Seems that Gauke is due on LBC between 7pm and 8pm. Anyone fancy calling in? Personally I don't have the bottle, but surely someone on here is experienced in public debate and also has all the facts at their fingertips? An outing on the radio could help us at this stage, I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by MishiMoo View Post
          Seems that Gauke is due on LBC between 7pm and 8pm. Anyone fancy calling in? Personally I don't have the bottle, but surely someone on here is experienced in public debate and also has all the facts at their fingertips? An outing on the radio could help us at this stage, I feel.
          I've sent in a question, probably won't get airtime. To wrapped up in bingo and beer. FFS!!!

On another note: http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager...ssue/a741634/2
          Last edited by smalldog; 20 March 2014, 19:50.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            I've sent in a question, probably won't get airtime. To wrapped up in bingo and beer. FFS!!!

On another note: Withers: Upfront tax payments could prove a human rights issue - Citywire
            Feck . I've missed this opportunity. Can we set up Guake watch? I'll happily ask him a question or two.

Comment

DOTAS Disaster: Worth contrinuing living life as a contractor?

Dear all,

I've posted the following in another thread but am keen on your views/thoughts since this one keeps receiving most hits:

So, with the Budget cat now out of the sack, what is your advice assuming I have two currently outstanding/ appealed DAs totalling at sizeable amount. I haven't got the cash in the bank to cover them - and likely won't have the cash by summer this year either.

Would I need to:
              1) Move as quickly as possible off DOTAS and become a limited company contractor - ideally before beginning of the new tax year (with the awareness that there may be more DAs coming through the letter box)? My scheme provider suggested today that even then I'm "brand-marked" and Hector will continue sniffing around.
              Or do I need to find a "proper" perm job, i.e. having to give up being a freelancer altogether - maybe that's what Hector ultimately wants to achieve with all this?

2) Start scrimping and scraping to collect the money on the side if and when the acceleration notes come through the door? But there won't be enough by summer even to paying just 25% of it off.

3) Be prepared to fight and initiate personal bankruptcy proceedings?

I.e. could they push me into personal bankruptcy for debt that I do not owe - until it's proven I do - unless I don't altogether: Baring in mind if they did that, and I won the case later, I would get the money back + interest, and would consider suing for compensation, distress caused, loss of property/equity and loss of future income (I wouldn't be able to get any more work in my sector in case of a personal bankruptcy)? And breach of human rights as other commentators/law firms have suggested already.

4) Expect that they will only take what's in the bank account and leave £5,000 - which doesn't leave them too much to take anyway the way things have been going.

5) Do nothing and assume that this will all blow over and will be challenged further before it makes it's way into the Finance bill?

What other practical solutions are there? What are others thoughts?
              Is life as a contractor worth living?

Many thanks for your help - any comments/feedback are much appreciated.

Brilliant forum and comments/thoughts btw. Helps knowing I'm not on my own in the deep end...

P.S.
              I don't smoke.
              I don't drink.
              I don't do drugs.
              I haven't got a car.
              I didn't have and don't intend having an affair.
              I have been paying all my taxes I was told that are due - by Hector who knew about my DOTAS arrangements.
              I've been declaring every penny I've earned, and I've worked hard for that.
              And in return, for being honest, open, legal and transparent am now getting royally screwed.
              Thanks a bunch!

P.P.S.
              Looks like we are now all considered "guilty" until proven innocent and with that goes the British constitution down the toilet.

P.P.P.S
              Makes you wonder if being a crook and screwing everyone else professionally is the way to go?
              Last edited by DeadDOTAS; 20 March 2014, 22:15.

Comment

Do we need our own petition on Change.org?

I wondered if it's time running a petition on Change.org?

Guess we would be getting 66,000 signatures if the numbers are trusted, plus our partners, wifes, kids, friends etc. may easily be getting us over 100,000 or not? That may generate some noise given that the mainstream press is completely quiet on this issue (apart from the proposed Ch4 docutainment)

I've ran a petition on Change.org last year and we managed to convince the local council changing its decision - and that was with only 1,000 signatories...

If so, may I politely suggest that NTRT is best placed setting this up and getting the wording right?

Anyone in support of this idea?
                Many thanks.

P.S. If somebody is getting more than 100,000 signatures trying to removing Page-3-girls from the Sun newspapers and the likes, why can't we all pull together on this life-changing mess.

P.P.S. 66,000 bankrupted "SME"s won't be able to contribute to Osbourne's new vision for the economy - other than asking for dole money...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadDOTAS View Post
                  I wondered if it's time running a petition on Change.org?

Guess we would be getting 66,000 signatures if the numbers are trusted, plus our partners, wifes, kids, friends etc. may easily be getting us over 100,000 or not? ....
                  P.P.S. 66,000 bankrupted "SME"s won't be able to contribute to Osbourne's new vision for the economy - other than asking for dole money...
                  Back in 2010, under Nick Clegg's 'Your Freedom' site (suggestions for repealing unfair legislation), I suggested that BN66 be repealed. This suggestion receieved the greatest number of votes in its category. As we all now know, this achieved nothing. Follow up letters to Cleggers drew only bland waffle for his dismissal of the proposal.

I suppose you could look at this 2 ways though;

1) It was a waste of time.
                  or
                  2) If my proposal raised the greatest number of votes back then, for an issue affecting only our group, think how many signatures we could collect this time. And, we now just one year from an election. If we can demonstrate the number of potential voters who are affected by this, the political parties and individual MPs may see it as a vote loser and decide against supporting the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadDOTAS View Post
                    1) ... My scheme provider suggested today that even then I'm "brand-marked" and Hector will continue sniffing around.
                    Or do I need to find a "proper" perm job, i.e. having to give up being a freelancer altogether - maybe that's what Hector ultimately wants to achieve with all this?
                    Not answering the lot as this is a thread I'm not welcome in but what else would you expect a salesman to say. He doesn't know if you are marked or not he just doesn't want you to leave.

Personally I would set up a limited company get a decent accountant and let them deal with the issues there....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Not answering the lot as this is a thread I'm not welcome in but what else would you expect a salesman to say. He doesn't know if you are marked or not he just doesn't want you to leave.

Personally I would set up a limited company get a decent accountant and let them deal with the issues....
                      Indeed, given the schemes are making £10k - £20k a year from you they're not in a position to be impartial. Though, having the promoters shut-up shop and disappear isn't in our best interest either - a rock and a hard place springs to mind.

Personally the IR35 risk with a limited company is far far less that the risk any of the tax planning schemes carry.

Comment

Working...
                      X